Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: tips and wish me luck!

Default tips and wish me luck!

well tomorow my dad and sisters will be gone and so we wont be going to church. so my moms gonna take me to home depot to get some things im gonna get some 1 inch pvc and some end plugs, connectors and im gonna get a get a bit of wood and ill get some paint if need be and maybe some d-rings if i can get um and also some of tha pvc that curves and some other suplies im gonna come home and take the wood and make a box thing that has a top and bottom and two sides. the sides that are open will be about a 1inch sqaure. then im gonna get my saw drill and some other things and im gonna make some nice looking pvc prop type sabers to put up on my wall and one will be for my belt so i have sonething till i make these css sabers. they will be static sabers. ill use the box thing i make to hold the pvc still and in one place while i saw it. i have a couple sights that i have read so far about making sabers from pvc and medal tubes. oh wich reminds me i might get some sink tube and pipe while im there so i can use that a bit two.

any way wish me luck and i was wondering if maybe anybody had any pionters on doing this?
    thanks
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Default Pvc

Here is PVC info:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=3266

Make sure that you get the right gauge when getting sink tubes. The wrong gauge won't fit over MHS parts (unless they are machined down). The ones TCSS sells are the right gauge.

PVC sabers are great for walking through the basics. Once you know how the saber goes together and which part does what, then building the MHS/Sinktube kind is that much easier.

well im not thinking of putting mhs over the sink tube. i was jus thinking of making static saber hilts for display and one to wear on my belt to meetings and conventions and stuff till i can get one from here and after i get one from here ill still use it for events that lots of younger kids will be at so that if it brakes i wont cry to much! and i read that before and am brushing up on that thread right now but i dint know maybe theres other info out there cause i want these to look realish like actual metal.

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

There are some good looking metallic paints out there now. I got one that looks like a hammered metal finish. I also got one that does a pretty shiny chrome finish. I think they were both Krylon paints if I remember correctly. The chrome one rubbed off on my hands a little. You would probably want a clear coat over that one.

well i got rustoleum metalic. that work well with PVC?

tutorial on ohms law!!!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Rustoleum Specialty Metallics are good paints. I'd suggest using a primer underneath, and then a clear coat over it. Don't forget to rough up the PVC a bit, before painting.

And don't forget to pick up some different grits of sandpaper, too. 240 and 320 are good to have. I also use 150 and 400 for different projects. The lower the number, the coarser the grit, conversely,the higher the number the finer the grit.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

thanks. so how hard is it to spray paint these?

tutorial on ohms law!!!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Have you spray painted before? If you're not having to mask off parts for different colors, it's not that bad, other than the fact that sabers are cylinders. Some people hang up their PVC sabers so that they can paint around the whole thing, instead of doing one side, then the other. You risk less paint drips going across the sides.

Just follow the painting instructions on the can to avoid the drips.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

not spray painted before. i tested a red i had because it was sun red instead of regular red so to see the diffrence i sprayed ti on some card board. it didtn turn out to well. and i was thinking of hanging it up in my garage to

tutorial on ohms law!!!

If you have never spray painted before then remember several thin coats works better than one thick coat. Plus its a lot easier to add more paint then to take it off.
    "Great Warrior? Wars Not Make One Great."