Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: saber hilt ?

Default saber hilt ?

Hello, I am currently working on a saber and needed to know a few things. This is my very first attempt at building one, custom style and electronics are not really my thing. I want to have a double bladed saber, but here is the catch, the bottom blade will only be 2-3 inches long. Like the knights when they had small daggers on the end of their swords. It sounds weird but when you are in a saber lock it could come in handy for doing a sneak attack. So first do I need to have a hilt as long as Mauls, to accommodate the electronics or can I shorten the hilt a little bit? It also will be 2 different colors. If you need more info please let me know. Thanks for your time.

The length would be determined by your chosen sound solution and power needs.
    I would recommend starting off with a simple no-sound version. Then when you're comfortable with the soldering and how the parts work together, then add in sound.
    I'm a huge advocate of the crawl -> walk -> run philosophy.

If you want the pommel blade to be on a separate switch then the simple approach would be to have separate batteries and circuits.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

If you're not going with sound, then I bet you could fit all that you need in a 12 inch saber.
    Do you have a sketch or something?

Default drawing

Yes, I do. I is on paper though, and am not sure I have the software to draw it in the computer. I could take a photo of it an post it this way if that would help.

Get us a sketch up to help us see what you're wanting better. It would be simpler to me to wire up 2 seperate circuts and use 2 battery holders. That would require 2 resistors if you want to do it the simplest way and alot of batteries but it would work. If you want to wire the LEDs into one circut then the rest of the guys on here will have to help you because I've never tried to wire something like that before. I would say a 12 inch hilt would work also. I can't really help you much more than that until I know what you're wanting to do with the saber.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

the idea sounds awesome, cant wait to see it. are you planning on having the hilt disconnect into two different sabers? that would be a pretty awesome combo, a lightsaber/lightdagger for dual wielding, then a quick connect for some serious sparring ferociousness.
    Temporis

"Execute Order 66!"

Default saber

yes I would like to have it separate, but the dagger style blade its more for a surprise attack. I will take pics of what I have drawn and hope that will help out. The dagger piece would only need to be 4 inches or so with a blade of 3-4 inches maybe 2-3 1/2. Not sure any suggestions? I am looking to have a hilt a couple of inches smaller than the mauls. Longer than it needs to be? maybe, but it will make it a unique saber. I kind of liked the way maul fought qui-gon for the first time using only 1 blade. So when I got mine I tried dueling with it like that scene but the hilt was too long so I got to thinking of the design I have now. I would like it to have a "quick" snap for quick assembly. I will get pics to everyone soon. Thanks for all your help.

sounds interesting, the new Hasbro board may work really well in that situation, just because a six inch blade is probably short enough that the stock led it has would be bright enough. but I am getting ahead of my self. can't wait to see your concept.

Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    ... I would like it to have a "quick" snap for quick assembly...
    that's something i started fighting with a while back for a set of sabers im making for a friend of mine. what i came across was some twist lock connectors used in paintball guns. and at the size they are, you could either just attatch them to the hilt, or possibly have them kinda hidden inside the hilt

Default pics

O.K., I am NOT an artist so laugh all you want, I did. This is just 1 of many drawn concepts. Any constructive criticism is welcome on the design to make it better. Thank you. I have more pics if needed, so we all can laugh some more Ha Ha
    Attached Images Attached Images