Thread: My Sinktube Saber

Default My Sinktube Saber

I didn't think I had any preliminary pics of my sinktube saber but here we go!

What's in it?

- SPST Momentary Switch

- Ultrasound 2.0 (when it arrives)

- Lux III Blue

- A speaker (Hasbro ATM)

- 4AA battery pack.

Using quick disconnects on the wiring and potentially will solder up a headphone jack port to the sound output on the Ultrasound to run the sound to the speaker (which can alternately be taken out and connected to a speaker system or recording system for movie stuff).

The hilt is just a 1.25'' sinktube, with the sinktube blade holder and 3/4'' reducer.

I misplaced the original allen head button screws to hold the thing in place so I used to misc screws and a red thumbscrew for the blade holder which needs some cutting.

The covertec clip screw also needs cutting to get it smaller.

I also need to sand down the switch inside to allow the battery pack to slide in and out. Potentially I will make a sled for the guts, but probably will stick to a film canister.

The hilt itself is unfinished. Yes thats black electrical tape wrapped around to make it look like faux black leather. In person it actually looks and feels great! I'll be making some cut outs for overlays for the grips in addition and putting on a graflex style shroud as well.
    Momma in law: If this printer keeps printing the same thing I'm going to spit nickles!

Me: if you start spitting nickles I'm coming over with a bucket!

that looks sweet! Nice job!

♫ Dom Dom Dom Da da-Dom Da da-Dom ♪

wow.
    looks nice.
    any action pictures
    Visit Star Wars Space

Great job, ThreeQuad... now THAT'S the way sabers get built first time around. I love sink tube sabers, especially when they are made to look so creative you can't tell it's "just a sink tube" anymore.

I also like to see people preparing ahead of time so that later on... they can just essentially solder the board on in in 30 minutes or less, and bam...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

New plans!

I just came into nice Ben Franklin for xmas from my grandmother, and given that yes I could put it aside and save it, she prefers to see that we spend it and show her what we got with it at xmas when she's here (and even at my age of 26/27, rofl).

As such I gave into this and decided to modify my plans for saber # 2 to focus on # 1: #1 being my Graflex! (sorry no pics ATM). It will have:

- The existing blue Lux 3 sitting in saber # 2 (upgrading from green EL)
    - Momentary switch
    - The ultrasound I'm waiting on (which Tim says may/should ship starting Monday..a woot!)
    - The Graflexshop LED holder (I really, really, really wanted to order this from TCSS but it's been out of stock for some time)
    - Not sure what I'm doing for the blade retention screw yet
    - 1'' thick blade w/film and mirrored shouldered tip (those bullet tips make me uneasy rofl)
    - 4AA battery holder
    - Short graflex pins
    - Existing speaker
    - Existing covertec clip
    - I'll probably ghank the grips I have and do something different

I also have leftover EL wire that I was going to use on a saber, so I'm thinking, IF I can cram it in, I will include some blue EL wiring here and there as accent lighting/wires to make it look different.

Can't wait to get the parts and post pics! Aside from the blade holder everything has been ordered from TCSS!

Ok, so what's going into the sinktube saber now, you might ask...well:

- New red lux III
    - Hasbro + buckypuck is back again!
    Last edited by ThreeQuadFive; 11-21-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    Momma in law: If this printer keeps printing the same thing I'm going to spit nickles!

Me: if you start spitting nickles I'm coming over with a bucket!

Good luck on the Graflex. You'll enjoy it the first time it's "ignited".