Thread: Help me Obi-Wan!

that is sweet! I want one!
    "Great Warrior? Wars Not Make One Great."

Sorry guys, but it's just a special affect. The anchorman can't actually see her.
    It's just a gimmick a little better than green screen.

Yea, from the looks of it, it's just Augmented Reality. I did my senior design project on augmented reality and was able to come up with something similar to this. We didn't use humans as graphics but instead evolved a square cube into both a spinning teapot and a snowman tipping his hat. It was incredibly fun and I even got some money out of it after winning a prize. If you wanna see some sweet technology and definitely the future of gaming, do a little research on augmented reality! You won't be disappointed!

♫ Dom Dom Dom Da da-Dom Da da-Dom ♪

I thought augmented reality had died out. I remember it was a big thing a few years back, but then nothing seemed to come of it. The key was a headset with displays so you could see the augmentation the computer was producing overlayed on reality.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Oh yea it did die out with the rise of Virtual Reality, but now that everyone's realized the waste VR is, huge advances have come back to AR. Some colleges have even design games around their campus. University of Southern Australia actually design the game Quake with their campus as the battle ground. Yes, you have to wear a headset and backpack with a toy gun to shoot, but things will get better and smaller with nano technology. Another campus has designed a Pacman game around their campus where you can be Pacman and collect virtual dots while your friends can be the ghosts and chase you around. It's pretty sweet. Things are just starting to get rolling again, but I think there'll be a breakthrough soon. Just imagine playing CS or Halo on your campus or neighborhood with all your friends. It could really help our obesity problem too!

There are many practical aplications too. Think of tying in your GPS to an AR headset, giving you an overlay of the directions and route. Just one of many computer game HUD inspired ideas.
    Or one I saw on TV was sending ultrasound scans to a surgeon's headset, so he gets a realtime 3D overlay of the internal organs during keyhole surgery.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Yeah, I saw that last night. It wasn't very convincing. They kept calling it a hologram even though it was just a tacky special affect. It might have been cool if anderson cooper hadn't been playing it up sooooo much. Youtube his interview with Will.I.AM. from last night.
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus Lupus View Post
    There are many practical aplications too. Think of tying in your GPS to an AR headset, giving you an overlay of the directions and route. Just one of many computer game HUD inspired ideas.
    Or one I saw on TV was sending ultrasound scans to a surgeon's headset, so he gets a realtime 3D overlay of the internal organs during keyhole surgery.
    Oh yea there are TONS of things it could be amazing for! Here's one of my favorite examples of how huge an impact AR can be in something like the Manufacturing industry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9KPJlA5yds

This could reduce the amount of time spent with screw-ups tremendously! Of course the technology is not quite this advanced yet, but there are WAY more possibilities in AR than there is with VR! I can't wait to see where this technology goes in the future.