Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Graflex Stunt Saber? Help?

Default Graflex Stunt Saber? Help?

so i'm new to the customizing a saber, but i plan on making a saber out of a Graflax. this is something that i want to be able to duel with if i feel like, so i dont think i'll make it an actual light up one, unless those can be used to fight... anyways to my question, is it possible to set up the graflex handle to hold a blade that goes all the way into the saber to make it more sturdy? most of the ones i've seen just have the blade go a couple inches into the hilt. any advice would be helpful. thanks.

just add, i did notice that this site is mainly for EL/LED sabers, so if they are able to withstand fighting, let me know.
    Last edited by chrisgomps07; 11-02-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Default graflex

The graflex has a plastic housing in it. Once that is removed, you get a hollow metal tube which you can build any way you like. You could, for example, fill the entire tube with a wooden dowel with a hole drilled in the center to hold whatever blade you plan on using. Or you could even have some type of mount custom machined.

The blade holders in the shop are pretty sturdy and when used with a blade retention screw, will hold the plastic blades pretty well. That setup will allow you to have an LED and electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by swear000 View Post
    The graflex has a plastic housing in it. Once that is removed, you get a hollow metal tube which you can build any way you like. You could, for example, fill the entire tube with a wooden dowel with a hole drilled in the center to hold whatever blade you plan on using. Or you could even have some type of mount custom machined.

The blade holders in the shop are pretty sturdy and when used with a blade retention screw, will hold the plastic blades pretty well. That setup will allow you to have an LED and electronics.
    do the blade holders from here go all the way into the saber or just sit at the top? and can they be used without electronics?

Have you considered a sink tube design useing a 1.25" sink tube?

I have a design that you might what to have. You could up grade to a Lux or an EL lighting system if you want. The saber would be more sterdy and customized to your liking.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The blade holders do not go "all the way into" the saber. That would not allow for any electronics to be installed.

2" is plenty deep for a blade to be held sturdily with a blade retention screw installed.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Default Guess

It may be that he is looking to do some very hard core dueling with the blade. I attached a picture of a katana that has the blade running all the way through the hilt. This is probably the sturdiest type of construction method. Although, I doubt it is used a lot since most of us build our sabers to look like replicas from the movies and do some light to moderate dueling (which the blade holder should work fine for). I know people also use carbon fiber rods for light weight and strength.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (76.4 KB, 41 views)

For heavy duelling the graflex is a poor choice.

1. It is in 2 main peices, held together by a clamp. Fighting will seperate them
    2. The rubber grips will not hold up well to repeated fighting... even with top notch adhesive.

IMHO your're better off with a custom saber styled like a graflex... one that can support a full tang blade if you want - but at lease is in one main peice.

Do you have a graflex flash that you want to use - or are you considering buying one?

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
    For heavy duelling the graflex is a poor choice.

1. It is in 2 main peices, held together by a clamp. Fighting will seperate them
    2. The rubber grips will not hold up well to repeated fighting... even with top notch adhesive.

IMHO your're better off with a custom saber styled like a graflex... one that can support a full tang blade if you want - but at lease is in one main peice.

Do you have a graflex flash that you want to use - or are you considering buying one?

MC
    no i dont have a graflex yet, and just fyi i wasnt planning on using the "T" grips. did you have something in mind?

just to add. i was originaly planning on getting a saber made from Randomsabers.com (one of their designs is almost exactly what i want) and then have them bore it out so the blade would go all the way into the hilt and use one of their carbon fiber rods. but sadly they arent taking any orders for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by swear000 View Post
    It may be that he is looking to do some very hard core dueling with the blade. I attached a picture of a katana that has the blade running all the way through the hilt. This is probably the sturdiest type of construction method. Although, I doubt it is used a lot since most of us build our sabers to look like replicas from the movies and do some light to moderate dueling (which the blade holder should work fine for). I know people also use carbon fiber rods for light weight and strength.
    yeah I have one saber that is set up like this be for my serious dueling and or practicing and what not and let me tell you that this is the only way to go if you seriously want to bash the crap hell out of someone. I've tried with the various set ups found, from MHS, to Ultra, to whatever and they can only take some much, but enough that you don't seem like you are just trying to yeah... you get the idea.

PS i have that katana from that pic
    ...YUP!