Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mono/stereo jack connectors

Default another jack/plug question

I'm just starting my first EL assembly, and the 1/4" mono plug I bought from Radio Shack doesn't fit inside the diffuser tube. I purchased my parts based on the Jedi Loreen tutorial, and I assumed the plug would go inside all three plastic blade parts (poly c, poly e, and poly p). But even with the housing off the plug, the plug is too wide to fit the diffuser. Can the diffuser and bushing be "stacked" above the plug with the poly c tube covering the whole thing, or do I need to find a plug with a smaller housing diameter?

Just for reference, the plug model is 274-1536 (Radio Shack brand).

Thanks for any help.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you are using the 1/8" walled polycarb tube that you can get in this store here, there is no need for a bushing like I used in the 1/16" walled polycarb. The mono plug fits just into the polycarb tube. If it's a little sloppy, just wrap a little electrical tape around it before securing it.

The diffuser tubes here are a little smaller than what I still use, but that's to avoid any problems of insertion into different lots of the 1/8" walled polycarb tube, the ID can very within the allowable tolerances.

Tim did a photo tutorial on how to make an EL blade based on my original tutorial, with some improvements that makes it much more simple.
    Check it out.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Actually, Loreen, I read Tim's tutorial, but I'm using parts I ordered based on the blade tutorial you wrote:

3/4" OD, 5/8" ID polycarbonate tubing
    1/2" OD, 3/8" ID rigid polyethylene tubing
    5/8" OD, 1/2" ID polypropylene tubing

The thing is, the width of the mono plug is wider than the 3/8" polyethylene opening. It fits into the propylene just fine, so it would definitely fit in the polycarbonate. But if I use these parts as they are, the polycarb and polypro will go over the plug and the diffuser polyeth won't begin until after the plug casing ends. I don't see this as being a problem, since the diffuser will still cover all the wire (like it's supposed to), but all three layers won't cover the plug. If this would be a problem, I'd like to know, so I can reorder my plastic parts a little bigger.

Thanks for helping, Loreen.