Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A question on terminology

Quote Originally Posted by NewberL337 View Post
    Also did a search on here for "activation switch" and "activation box" and while some posts mentioned them they didn't answer, from what i read, the question I am wondering. It's easy enough to see how a button work to activate a saber. But how would someone get the slider to work?

I see this, http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/DP...itch--P46.aspx and I would imagine that the piece comes out of the hole like the button would, except it slided, rather then going up and down. So how do the activation boxes catch that so it slides back and forth to go on and off?
    You can do it many ways, but it’s all going to require fabrication.

Here’s a simple idea using the activation box and the sliding card/insert.

The activation box is mounted to the saber, the switch would be mounted in the activation box and the sliding insert would move the switch knob.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned to you yet, but if you were planning on making the saber exactly the way you have it in your post, you are going to need to move your blade retention screw (thumbscrew) up onto the blade holder so it actually touches the blade, the blade will not go all the way down into the choke point.
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Leximus View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned to you yet, but if you were planning on making the saber exactly the way you have it in your post, you are going to need to move your blade retention screw (thumbscrew) up onto the blade holder so it actually touches the blade, the blade will not go all the way down into the choke point.
    Oh alright, easy enough. Question, will just one screw hold the blade in place firmly?? Id imagine it wouldn't... do people usually have two screws?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by NewberL337 View Post
    Oh alright, easy enough. Question, will just one screw hold the blade in place firmly?? Id imagine it wouldn't... do people usually have two screws?
    One, if it is placed properly is plenty!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    One, if it is placed properly is plenty!
    Really!? Haha that just seems so odd to me. It makes me feel like it's unbalanced, that it's weighed down on one end by being screwed in whereas it's not on the other, not great for dueling. But you guys are the experts so... I believe you.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I've only ever used one blade retention screw, though I prefer 10-32 as opposed to the 8-32, it gets a little more of a "bite" in the blade.

The screw presses the blade very firmly against the other side of the blade holder when it's tightened, it's very secure that way. You'll see.....
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Something that you might want to change is the 5 degree lens. Unless you're using a 3/4 inch blade, most of us use the 10 degree lens for the 1 inch blade.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Something that you might want to change is the 5 degree lens. Unless you're using a 3/4 inch blade, most of us use the 10 degree lens for the 1 inch blade.
    Thanks Fender. Anything else I may want to add/change/subtract before ordering?

Out of curiosity, what is this.... I won't need one, will I?
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/12...der--P269.aspx

EDIT: So thats just the blade holder I see. But why is that ones heatsink so different then th eother ones, and why so many screws?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you're using an MHS hilt section, you don't need that. It's only for making a hilt using a sink tube. And that one's for the 1 1/4" tube.

The heat sink is that shape because there's no lip for it to rest on, like the smaller one does with the MHS parts. It may also need to be thicker to dissapate heat better, because the sink tube is thin, and the regular,smaller heat sink uses the MHS tube it's mounted in as sort of a giant heat sink, to a degree.

The extra screws are for mounting every thing to the sink tube.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 11-01-2008 at 02:30 PM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

The five small set screws that come with the 1.25" sink-tube blade holder are for holding the heatsink inside the blade holder. without those, there is no way to keep the heatsink attached to the blade holder. The other two socket head screws are for securing the holder to the tube.

Here's what type of saber these blade holders can be used to build:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=5052

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.