Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A question on terminology

Default A question on terminology

I did a search here for "terminology" and "vocabulary" and didn't get anything. I was just wondering if there was a place that describes what certain things mean? For example... kill switch?

Also did a search on here for "activation switch" and "activation box" and while some posts mentioned them they didn't answer, from what i read, the question I am wondering. It's easy enough to see how a button work to activate a saber. But how would someone get the slider to work?

I see this, http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/DP...itch--P46.aspx and I would imagine that the piece comes out of the hole like the button would, except it slided, rather then going up and down. So how do the activation boxes catch that so it slides back and forth to go on and off?

what do you want to know? a kill switch is a plug that is put in the wire so that you can cut off all the power.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

For your first question...
    A "kill switch" is a term used to describe a switch that completely disconnects power to any electronics. Most times this is acomplished by using a re-charge port. If wired proplerly - it shuts off all power to the electronics when the recharge plug or a "kill key" is inserted into the port.

I'm not sure what you are asking about regarding the sliding switch. It does take some experimentation to get things to fit in any particular saber.

MC

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

NewberL337 - to answer your question: No, there's no glossary of terminology. There are accepted terms for certain parts and components, but consider this is a hobby based on fictional technology. You'll get used to the words that people use, and even the real-world part names get mixed up (e.g. control, activation, clamp/box)... but if you stick around long enough, you'll eventually see what everyone's talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
    For your first question...
    A "kill switch" is a term used to describe a switch that completely disconnects power to any electronics. Most times this is acomplished by using a re-charge port. If wired proplerly - it shuts off all power to the electronics when the recharge plug or a "kill key" is inserted into the port.

I'm not sure what you are asking about regarding the sliding switch. It does take some experimentation to get things to fit in any particular saber.

MC
    Thanks guys. Madcow, like in your YouTube video of your most recent saber that pin you take out and put back in, would that be the kill switch?

And what I meant by the switch thing is this;

A lot of sabers, if not most, turn on and off by the press of a power button somewhere on the hilt.

Then, like in some of the replica sabers, and with the Graflex and MPP clamp parts they are pieces that fit around the hilt. In the parts page Tim also sells the sliding activation switch. Rather then the up/down this slides left/right for on and off. So I am assuming that the activation boxes, that activation switch and the MPP or Graflex clamps some how all fit together to make it so that turning the saber on and off is sliding the the button back and forth, rather then up and down. Best I can explain it.... thats how I eventually want my first hilt to be powered and I want to make sure I understand how they all work together.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

YOU have to modify the parts to how YOU want to use them. They're not fitted with any mechanical means of connection or employment - that is up to YOU, the customer, to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    YOU have to modify the parts to how YOU want to use them. They're not fitted with any mechanical means of connection or employment - that is up to YOU, the customer, to decide.
    Ooohuuuhoo, I see I see. Good, that will allow me to see how creative i can get. I think I'll stick with the button since it's easier but I'll order the slide switch just to see if I can come up with a way for it to work. It'll be fun.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, a slide switch is just a slide switch. Whether it slides up-down, right-left, depends on how you want to mount it, and what you mount it in/on.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Yeah, a slide switch is just a slide switch. Whether it slides up-down, right-left, depends on how you want to mount it, and what you mount it in/on.
    Alright guys, you've helped me enough so far... so this is what I got ready to order to start my first, simple, lighted LED saber.

I already have a pommel, hilt and attachment piece here, I just want to use a different blade holder. So...

Blade holder #5 with heatsink and nylon screws
    Attachment choke style 1 (already have)
    Double threaded hilt style #3 (already have)
    Pommel style 3v2 (already have)
    Build your own Luxeon III Electronics Kit
    - 4AA battery holder
    - Red/Orange LED
    - 5 degree viewing lens
    - 2.2ohm 5w resistor
    - Push on/ Push off switch w/ black button
    8/32 tap and drill set
    Tap Handle
    1/8" heatshrink tubing
    One 36" blade
    Quick Connector
    8/32 x 1/2" thumb screw
    Custom rubber grip set
    Bezel switch nut

All the tools like a drill, vice, sodering iron, etc. I have access to in my grandfathers workshop.

Anything else I may need? Advice on other options, etc?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by NewberL337 View Post
    Ooohuuuhoo, I see I see. Good, that will allow me to see how creative i can get. I think I'll stick with the button since it's easier but I'll order the slide switch just to see if I can come up with a way for it to work. It'll be fun.
    I think you are starting to get it! Just order a variety of parts and see how they "can" go together. Truely, the only limiting factor in saber building is your imagination!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!