Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: n00b! So you want to build a MHS saber huh?

Thumbs up

Wonderful!

And if my newb-ness may be excused for two more utterances: (1) Is there any problem in adding adapters/extensions (for aesthetic and expansion) to this basic layout; (2) how would one without a drill press get a covertec onboard this design?
    (I predict the answers are: (1) no; (2) buy the tap/drill hole service)

lol You really should start a thread where each person can ask 2-3 questions, regardless of their n00b/newb-osity.

[edit] Oooo, and as long as I'm here : How can Yoda's MR sell for only $80 (amazon)? From what I've read and what I've messed with on MHS that would only cover the hilt.
    I guess deep down I'm wondering what possible reason there is for not buying and cannibalizing it....
    My kids gets a rockin' first lightsaber and eventually I get the soundcard.
    Last edited by Statarius; 11-20-2009 at 08:30 PM.

#1. You can add all the expansion pieces you want as long as the threads will match up. Just keep track of how long your saber will be, you can get up to 15 inches real quick which is a pretty long saber.
    #2. If you haven't ordered your MHS parts then you just add the drill and tap service to your cart before checkout.

I got a used Yoda in good condition for $45. Good deal for a MR. If all you want is a LED saber, then get a MR and convert it. It will be less expensive and easier than a custom MHS w/ soundboard.

On the other hand, a custom MHS w/soundboard is going to look and sound better. I am doing a conversion w/ some modifications right now and will be getting an MHS for my next saber.
    Last edited by Darth Securis; 11-21-2009 at 09:18 AM.
    Mike Spurgeon SL-3412 Star Garrison

"The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master."

all i have to say is thanks LDM for this very straightforward tutorial, still reading though since i jumped headfirst and made a design first

but it definitely laid the ground rules

Default thanks

Being a noob I thought that the first part was a touch .... well lets say I can understand how you guys have been losing patience, I guess those noobs who have not read the post just don't want to spend the parts and get it wrong. I know I for one have a hard time with drills and have never solder ironed anything. so we ask and ask and then ask again, I know I for one haven't been the most active memeber but that being said the tutorial is perfect.

from
    Jedi xami letsab

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by jedi Xam'i Letsab View Post
    Being a noob I thought that the first part was a touch .... well lets say I can understand how you guys have been losing patience, I guess those noobs who have not read the post just don't want to spend the parts and get it wrong. I know I for one have a hard time with drills and have never solder ironed anything. so we ask and ask and then ask again, I know I for one haven't been the most active memeber but that being said the tutorial is perfect.

from
    Jedi xami letsab
    Thank you. I am always glad when it helps someone. I just wish more folks would take advantage of it.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

This thread is amazing, I'm very greatfull for it! I've always wanted to build my own functional saber, with this thread and the help of a few other people I just placed an order for all of my parts. I'm getting it drilled and tapped by them and the hilt is getting powder coated. It says that it may take up to two weeks if work needs to be done, any idea on an eta to shipping? Should I not even expect them to ship for two weeks?
    Last edited by BaylorJedi; 04-30-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BaylorJedi View Post
    Should I not even expect them to ship for two weeks?
    Correct
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Thank you LDM! This is the perfect guide for us noobs to get started with our first build.

I've got a quick question as a brand new user to this: is a blade retention screw entirely necessary? I ask because I don't like the look it gives to my hilts and I prefer a sense of simple elegance to... well, overly sci-fi, if you know what I mean.

well i guess its not necessary if you dont mind your blade flying across the room every time you try to swing your saber...