Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: n00b! So you want to build a MHS saber huh?

Cool Who am I?

Who am I?

I am a n00b.

I am a n00b who read this thread and greatly appreciates the guidance!

Steps 1-8 are complete! I cant wait to begin work on my first lightsaber!

Thanks ALL! I will let you all know how it goes!
    "Tactic: When no other options present themselves, shoot everything in sight." - Face Loran, Iron Fist

"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a ****. None shall pass!"
    -Ganner Rhysode to the Yuuzahn Vong Army

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

We like noobs that read.

Do some more reading while you are waiting for your parts to arrive.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Ahem, and I quote
    "Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. Noobs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own."

So give yourself some credit, you're probably not even much of a NEWB anymore if you've done all this reading. Granted, you won't know everything, but that's why these forums are here
    Click here to learn more about n00bs, and get a good laugh while you're at it!
    Last edited by Thaxos; 07-04-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Excellent tutorial!! Thank you so much, your help is much appreciated!! I'm already in the works of making a build for my first saber as we speak, well I mean type.

ok, so basically I can't make a purple lightsaber? And is it crucial to buy that LED starter kit, or once you buy it can you switch out the activation button?

AND another question.

Is it possible to make a hilt just out of extensions? Or do you have to make it out of the main bodies and then add extensions?

and whats the Heatshrink used for?
    Last edited by Solo, Jacen Solo; 07-24-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The only ways to make a purple blade using high powered LEDs is to use an LED die that has 2 or 3 LEDs in red and blue and properly mix the colors (too advanced for beginners) or use a white LED and a purple filter (much easier).

You can make a hilt out of extension pieces, but you'll need to have Tim drill a switch hole in the piece that's going to hold the switch.

This saber I made from 2 different extension pieces (with a double male adapter in between) and I told Tim where I wanted the switch hole to go.

If you don't know what heat shrink is for, then you didn't read the basic MHS hilt tutorial linked in the first post of this thread.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=326
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey, making a purple saber is easy. J-lo said you could use colored filters Tim sells.

if you don't think that it will be purple enought look here: post 10 & 11 have filters like the ones Tim sells.

If you do go purple, just make sure you the white seoul P4 and not the white Lux III.

As for your last question- Yes. the BYO electronics kit is a great way to start!
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I was thinking about going with the filters...but in my experience I've not liked the way filters look. Its just easier to go with a straight up color. Maybe I'll experiment with the filters later.
    Solo, Jacen Solo and Sp.Agt.Sparrow present, a web-based comic on the forums of TFW2005.....

A World of Our Own

Warning
    :
    In order to view said comic you must have an account on TFW2005, but its worth it.

I would like to suggest that the 'guide' recommend using a quick release connector if you are going to use a 'choke' section. Since the LED and other parts dont fit through them it can be a pain to assemble and even bigger pain to disassemble if you dont use this piece.

oh my goodness thaxos! that was the funniest newb vs noob tutorial ever! and it is so true we should probably start following its example!
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!