Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: n00b! So you want to build a MHS saber huh?

Quote Originally Posted by tonycmartin View Post
    Hey I am looking to build my first saber and just want know if I need a battery setup too? It's not listed and I'm just wondering how the saber is powered without it.
    Yes you would need a battery.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Ok, so I will open with saying I have minimal experience with this sorta thing.

The guide is great but old. I noticed they did have a modular wiring soundboard, and that there is a new hilt style, and multiple hole types you can get drilled.
    I assume if I bought entirely modular stuff it would by similar to the modular kit I built my Quad-drone with. Essentially high tech lego, plug and play.
    Would I be wrong?

Spent the last week bouncing between pre-mades. Currently between just ordering from Ultrasabers (Which i found had a lot of bad review at one point but less recently) and genesiscustomsabers.com (which is located in the same province of canada from me) make sense.
    Reason I am here is because if i am given a decent guide i could probably make one myself, with the features i want. The two big features are sound and some way to recharge the saber. And when i googled guide this post was the first to show up. And seems simple enough to make a simple saber. Flip that, this process is like staring at a wall. I see the writing but its a lot to take in, especially if i plan to make something feel like its mine.

Added Edit: Sadly modular soundboard is out of stock. T-T, but overall idea still applies. also curious if there was someone who doesnt mind going over my shopping list when the time comes. I dont wanna forget something, or miss compatibility. Saving money and doing it myself would be defeated if i cant actually build it myself.
    Last edited by XionLord; 06-17-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Welcome to the Forums.

We will look over your stuff when the time comes. In there meantime, I strongly suggest you start reading up on the forums. Building a saber can be done fairly easily, though you will need some basic skills and tools, depending on what you want to do.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Quote Originally Posted by XionLord View Post
    genesiscustomsabers.com
    Just to throw this out there, you can't go wrong with one of Rob's sabers, he's the bomb.

That said, there is something magical about building your own...

Oh so hes worth it? So few review on him to be found.

Got soldering gun, and a dremal multi-tool. I have some minimal experience.
    But was i right in thinking modular wiring could end up being plug and play/easiest starting point?
    Cause between that, and the cheap costs of services like powdercoating and having them drill a recharge port, I might go for it.
    Out of stock modular soundboard, but I am curious how hard it would be to wire up my own. I also saw a custom wiring service. that could save myself a screw up.

Yes, the guy in charge of GCS is the same Madcow who did most of the tutorial videos in this section of the forums: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...utorial-Videos

I agree with TrypWyr. Building your own is a wonderful experience. It's hard to match that sense of joy when you ignite a saber for the first time, and you built it yourself.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by XionLord View Post
    Oh so hes worth it? So few review on him to be found.
    He's one of the top 4 or 5 Sabersmiths in the hobby.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Where is the link for the modular wiring kit?

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_88 View Post
    Where is the link for the modular wiring kit?
    It's in the store. Look under Modular Wiring System.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Thanks Forgetful Jedi Knight.