Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: n00b! So you want to build a MHS saber huh?

I'm assuming you bought your blade holder not that long ago? If so, the heatsink you need is this one.

Let's see, what else do you have... I see an LED star, lens, lens holder, blade holder, quick release connectors, blade retention screw, pommel & pommel insert w/ c-clip, resistor, battery holder, heat shrink, battery-holder, main body, and a button. Is the button the latching variety? It needs to be if not.

Only other thing you need is a thermal tape pad. They're cheap enough, you might want to pick up two, in case you mess one up trying to apply it. You may also need a bit more wire (not entirely sure; don't the original "how to" guide in front of me). 26-28 gauge is good for your purposes, and Tim sells it in the store for dirt cheap, or you should be able to find it just about anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptenfisk View Post
    43$ including shipping :/
    And yeah, i live in Sweden.
    is there any tutorials on how to make you're own heatsink?

i dont understand what you wrote in the end of your comment. "If you go to the "Parts Lists" section of the boards, you can post your list of parts you plan on purchasing, and the veterans here will let you know if you're missing anything important. It may save you some heartache in the future."

Should i do a post on all the items i have?
    This is what i have now Attachment 6677
    The section Silver serpent mentions is on the main page, under the header "Miscellaneous". The section is titled "Parts Lists." It can be found here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...39-Parts-lists
    This is the section of the forum where new members can post a list of the parts they plan to order, prior to ordering, and make sure they have everything they need, to try and avoid the situation you've found yourself in.

The heat sink that is made to fit your blade holder is the one linked to by Silver Serpent. Trying to get something else to fit in the blade holder is going to be difficult, as was pointed out by tuxedocartman, but it may not be impossible. Based on the picture of the parts you have, I'd say that saber is going to be a little short, but that's my opinion...I'd add a choke to it as well, between the blade holder and the main hilt piece. If you do order more parts and have your girlfriend bring them with her, I'd also suggest adding the adhesive pad for under the led:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/St...-pad-P483.aspx
    Not only will it hold the led securely to the heatsink, but it also aids in the transfer of heat from the led into the heatsink, which will then transfer it to the blade holder where it will dissipate off the outer surface.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Information becomes outdated sometimes. I wrote this thread 4 years ago. Now that it has been brought to my attention, I have updated it for future users.
    Last edited by Lord Dottore Matto; 03-30-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

awesome thread clears up a lot of things and if it weren't for this thread I probably would've given up on this whole thing already, but I have a few questions I hope you don't mind helping me out with

1.When I build my saber in the MHS builder it seems to add a Heat sink by default, yet I thought the "Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module" already includes the Heat sink?

2. In the "Basic MHS build tutorial" a "resistor" is used however no resistor is included with the "basic build list of parts" It does however, come with the "buck puck" I assume this can be used to serve the same purpose as the resistor?

3. I want a blue LED light saber and my only concern is that it won't be bright enough, what I mean is I want it to have that "nice white bright core" all the way to the tip with the blue "haze" around it, I heard the "corbin style" blade does this well? and if so will the "Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module" be enough to pull this off?

thanks everybody in advance, been reading a lot and I'm ready to order my parts soon

Quote Originally Posted by icemetal View Post
    awesome thread clears up a lot of things and if it weren't for this thread I probably would've given up on this whole thing already, but I have a few questions I hope you don't mind helping me out with

1.When I build my saber in the MHS builder it seems to add a Heat sink by default, yet I thought the "Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module" already includes the Heat sink? Yes, the Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink kit inlcused the heatsink, just need a Blade Holder for it to go in.

2. In the "Basic MHS build tutorial" a "resistor" is used however no resistor is included with the "basic build list of parts" It does however, come with the "buck puck" I assume this can be used to serve the same purpose as the resistor? This one I'll need some help with, but I *think* you can use the buck puck without a resistor, but its probably still recommended.

3. I want a blue LED light saber and my only concern is that it won't be bright enough, what I mean is I want it to have that "nice white bright core" all the way to the tip with the blue "haze" around it, I heard the "corbin style" blade does this well? and if so will the "Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module" be enough to pull this off? Should be yes, just watch voltages and amperage

thanks everybody in advance, been reading a lot and I'm ready to order my parts soon
    I'll do my best to answer these.
    Yub Yub Commander.

alright many thanks, your all great!

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

The MHS builder adds one by default but once it is in your shopping cart you can just remove it.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Sith Lord

You do not need a resistor if you use the puck (that is why I didn't include one in the update, ) As far as the extra heatsink, just remove one from your cart and you will be good....unless you are me, then throw 10 extra into your cart .
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

i'm back after almost 4 years!!

what exactly are extensions for??

thanks guys.

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Making your hair look fuller and more lush! Extentions can be used to add length or a chamber or switch space or, as in my case, your whole saber.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion