Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oookaay, so I'll do the best I can here... but I need some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnovan Sunrider View Post
    Those details are too varied to really put on the builder. You have the base in hand, so that's your start point. What personalization do you want to do?
    Accent LEDs are also determined by the bits you have driving it inside. Many of the sabres you'll see with that stuff are using something fancy like a Crystal Focus board. That has tons of options for extra things like LEDs, motors, battery meters, etc. That's a pretty advanced build there, as it takes a ton of planning and experience with a soldering iron.
    The basic skills you want to get really good are soldering and some simple metal working. Using a rotary tool to cut out chunks to shape it to your vision. Drilling and tapping holes for screws. Space management in the hilt for batteries, switch, LED, wires, resistor and eventually fancy stuff like a driver board and crystal chamber.

My personal sabre project will have all the bells and whistles, but I'm making some basic gift sabres for my niece and nephew as practice first. And before that, I made a huge 12" sink pipe flashlight using the basic parts. That project gave me the best foundation for how these things go together.

One step at a time my friend. Let your lightsabre be special because you learned the process of fully realizing your vision for it. If you attempt to go to advanced procedures without the basics mastered, you could end up damaging expensive parts that will cost you some cash to replace. Soldering to circuit boards is very different from wires. Get really good at wires first, then practice on junk boards to get comfortable with that kind.
    You'll be glad you did.
    Okay... I think I'll take the advice, and start slow. Using on of those kits and a build form the MHS builder I should be good??

And some stuff as far as bells and whistles go and their uses, at least stuff sold here, are things like the MPP or Graflex clamps, or the bezel nut and switch or the replica graflex button. I mean those clamps, do they serve any purpose, can they turn the saber on or off or are they just decoration? And the EL graflex adapter, what does that do, exactly? Same with the buttons I mentioned.

Just with the parts offered on the sites, I'd like to have some sort of idea of what some of them at least even do.

Don't worry about the EL stuff. Those are for Electro-Luminescent blades. A totally different technology from LED.

The clamps and control boxes are there for if you want to use them. They can be left empty and just deco to look like a movie sabre, or you can drill them and add the power switch or lights into them. It's totally up to the builder.

The screws that look like graflex parts are just that, screws that look like parts from Graflex or Heiland based lightsabres. Use one to hold your blade in. Use it to hold a sink tube shroud on. Use it to slip into someone's pocket and pretend it's a homing device, it's up to you. (and boy, won't they be confused when you ask for it back.)

We're very big on personal creativity here. We love to see someone use a part in a creative way that wasn't expected or intended.
    Let yourself go and think about what you would want to do with them. Intended uses are just the start point in this hobby.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

Quote Originally Posted by NewberL337 View Post
    THAT would be awesome. And thanks. Like I said I did my best and I got half-answers and what not. Just it was hard for me to piece it all together as the information seemed so scattered.
    I've been asking Tim (owner of TCSS for those who don't know) if he'd want me to make some kind of video that could be posted at the FRONT of the TCSS threads (maybe even the main website) so that it would be impossible for people to miss all the basics.

Well... PERSONALLY I think it is already fairly tough to miss things... ... short of being too lazy to read (WITH UNDERSTANDING / DEDUCTIVE REASONING), or too impatient, excited and scatter-brained to do the work involved.

And when I say that some people do not read--firstly, I'm not attacking any one person. I'm just saying it applies "in general" with many newcomers. It's not "bad" or "good"... it is what it is.

Finally, when I say "read"... I do not mean read = look at the words, read them quickly, just hurry up and get through it...

...oh, nononononononnnnoooo NO. I mean:

"READ" = actually parsing/understanding the information being conveyed in the written form as if you were there experiencing said written words in real time, complete with actions, sound, parts, etc.

However... this is difficult if not impossible to do if you do not come to the TCSS site with the following basics:

* Basic knowledge of electronics (includes batteries, wiring, soldering, etc.)
    * Basic abilities or access to tools that would allow you to use, modify or otherwise test parts you'd be using
    * Basic comprehension of what an LED saber HERE is (i.e. not an MR, not plasma, etc.)

But whatever, that's just me.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Nova, paisano check this...http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=6430

whadda ya think?
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I think that it should be REQUIRED reading BEFORE someone is allowed to post, like during the account authentication process. Otherwise, great thread LDM!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    I think that it should be REQUIRED reading BEFORE someone is allowed to post, like during the account authentication process. Otherwise, great thread LDM!
    Gracias Fender! I'm just tryin' to help ALL of us!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    Gracias Fender! I'm just tryin' to help ALL of us!
    Ya know, like you said I guess it's that I'm scattered brained. Like I said I did read, I even took some notes on things, just not all I wanted to learn or know I found. Also, it's much easier when things are laid out for me black and white, like your post so I thank you, very much.