Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Something I think I'm seeing with Amber LEDs...

Here's an interesting fact that may play into this...

I had a black light on my front porch for Halloween, I like to really do the house up and make it fun for the local kids. I was of course using my saber to wow the kids and have fun with them... but I noticed that when it was off the blade was reacting to the UV of the black light! The blade I was using at the time was an MR blade with the milky-white diffuser. NOT a TCSS blade with corbin film and clear gift wrap.

So it appears there is a plastic in MR's that reacts to ultraviolet light. So of course... now I'm wondering if Amber LED's emit some ultraviolet? I KNOW the blue LED's do... but perhaps Amber as well?
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
    - Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!

Anything white will look like it is glowing under UV. I think the amber is appearing better with such a diffuser because it is less transparent and more translucent. Because amber is not that bright to begin with, the complete translucency of the white diffuser looks better than the broken up translucency/semi-translucency of one of the other diffusers.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think I have to agree with Zero Unit on this, based on my own observations.

And, I shouldn't think that amber would be emitting any ultraviolet, those wavelengths are farther away from that end of the spectrum than blue is.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Whoa, you guys rock... this is getting some VERY intelligent responses and observations!

J-Lo is correct in that... Amber is quite far from blue (ANY of the blues) in terms of wavelengths. In fact... if anything--other than it being closer to reds (duh)... it's closer to GREEN if we were "gonna go there".

Very interesting though. Again, I'm glad I am not the only one to find that Amber is behaving a bit more "bizarrely" in terms of consistency with diffusion solutions.

I imagine all of the colors behave differently with different diffusers, but... yeah... it sure seems that Amber is quite the "wildcard" on this kind of thing.

Maybe this explains why (over the past few years), amber has been given a quasi-"bad wrap"... for different reasons than even royal blue.

Royal blue because of its (obvious) abysmal lumens ratings (since it starts digging deepest into radiometric measurements for better accuracy).

But hey: what do *WE* know, right? It's all about LUMENS, huh??!?! hahahah
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

darn the shop is out of ambers!X( ah well. a cool thing i noticed is that when i put my blue MR luke next to my carpet where i had a nosebleed it showed up bits of blood that i didnt see before! need to look for blood? just get a blue or, apperently, amber lightsaber!
    --------------------------------------An You------------------------------------------
    Name: Drew/ An You
    Height:short :/
    Religeon: buddhist
    Preffered saber colour: purple (Prrrpll YUM!lol)
    Favorite alien species: Twi'lek (Oh, yes. Wormheads. Twin tendrils off head. Females much yum-yum!) "ROFLcopters"

Well the UK amber led I have is actually orange and the ultra style blade I have works best, the corbin blade looks pritty damn good also. but the battle blade no so good.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Quote Originally Posted by kinchar bamin View Post
    ... when i put my blue MR luke next to my carpet where i had a nosebleed it showed up bits of blood that i didnt see before!....
    I think that's likely because you're getting some UV wavelengths there, blood fluoresces under UV (as do other bodily fluids, but let's not go into that)
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

yeh i know, jst thought i cleaned it all up but apparently not.was quite a bit still left. ewww i have since slept on that rug X0
    --------------------------------------An You------------------------------------------
    Name: Drew/ An You
    Height:short :/
    Religeon: buddhist
    Preffered saber colour: purple (Prrrpll YUM!lol)
    Favorite alien species: Twi'lek (Oh, yes. Wormheads. Twin tendrils off head. Females much yum-yum!) "ROFLcopters"

Just a few quick notes

- yeah, Ultraviolet is indeed much closer to blue then Amber for wavelength. But that does not mean no Ultraviolet is emitted... remember that color emission on LED is a function of the doping material used on the P-N junction of the silicon. It's entirely possible that in the process of making an Amber color emitting LED some of the same material used for blue colors is in there. I think blue is Gallium Arsenide? Can't remember exactly. Point is... just because the colors are closer=no UV is an assumption. Might not be the case.

- Second point, no... not all white material will glow under a UV. That's just flat out not true. It takes specific components even in white materials to make that material glow under UV. So the point I was making is that the white plastic diffuser used on Master Replica saber blades does indeed have the component that makes it glow under UV.

Having said all that, I have no idea if Amber actually does emit UV. That would need to be tested. It was just a thought
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
    - Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!