Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something I think I'm seeing with Amber LEDs...

Default Something I think I'm seeing with Amber LEDs...

I could be wrong about this folks, but... has anyone noticed that in some cases, "milky white" style diffusers (read: some MR diffusers and TCSS "solid", one-piece diffusers) tend to allow BETTER brightness of the amber LEDs?

That is to say--if you use an Ultra/Gelu-style blade... if you try a more traditional diffuser, the traditional one has a more vibrant appearance?

Reason I ask is... I've been confirming exactly that with some tests! But... it does not seem to be so for several other colors (like red, green, royal b).

Before I bother seeing if it's even a big whoopty doo at all... wondering if anyone has the slightest clue what I mean.

Again, it seems to be mostly with Amber LEDs. This also leads me to believe that what I initially thought about using cellophane/poly-pro... could be true: it depends on the chemical makeup of the stuff, since it will ACT AS A FILTER (even though it's "100% clear/transparent").

Maybe the particular Ultra/Gelu style blade I have here tends to "rip out" some amber wavelengths. I don't know. I just see what I see.

Come to think of it... I don't even KNOW if photos would "explain the story", ya know? For all I know--you won't see what I see when stillshots get taken....

Hmmm.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Sith Lord

WTF??? Novastar, this is a useful lightsaber relevant post! I am so happy that you posted this that I could cry...

Hows about a vid? Maybe we could see what you mean via your preferred medium!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

huh-whoa... I must have had my "experience blinders" on, because it missed this on a few passes... [totally even, Janeane Garafolo Voice] "wow. don't. I. feel. like. a. noob..."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think I know what you're talking about, Nova.

I didn't realize it till now, but I've noticed the same thing.

I've got an amber LED, and it seems a little brighter when I use my TCSS Battle Blade with the white opaque diffuser, as opposed to my "composite" Corbin/Poly wrap blade.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Very curious that it affects Ambers like that. I've only had one amber LED and I futzed it in my first ever saber wiring mishap, so I don't really have anything useful to contribute. I just think it's interesting that odd stuff like this occurs and that people are keen to investigate and share findings.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Ah.

Well... I guess that cinches it that I haven't actually gone TRULY blind from LED usage (and MIS-usage)...

Good to know. I don't think there is much need to post photos, as:

* I'm not sure photos will capture this
    * We have several people understanding _exactly_ what I'm saying
    * I had a theory about the chemical composition about the blade film and it's why I started paying closer attention
    * Jon Judge (Jonitus, you know who he is... if you don't, go visit the intergalactic kegger you freaks) also confirmed with me that he's seen this on both amber _AND_ certain cyans
    * It sort of makes sense because... no matter WHAT form of diffusion you utilize, it WILL be "favoring" wavelength range X to Y over wavelength range A to B.
    * It seems clear (pardon the pun) that there are differing styles of "gift wrap" film out there... any and/or ALL of which could be constructed of different thicknesses... chemicals... which introduces an entire can of worms I don't think warrants a bloody 9/11 investigation
    * One's more vibrant, one's less vibrant... 'nuff said.

And BTW, Lord Dottore... NO CRYING! There's no crying... there's no crying in SABERS!!!

(stole quote from "League of Their Own")
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

My mr bladed amber > Corbin bladed one. Can't do side by side since I only own one amber. But to my eyes now that you mention it...
    "The Dark Side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must seek power above all else, with no reservation or hesitation." ~Darth Revan~

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I definitely think it catches the hue differently. The film blades catch the orange a lot more. Truthfully I'm way over the amber color though and I don't tink I'll ever use one again.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I've got two ambers(sambe bin) , I'll do a side by side tonight when i get home (since I have both types of blade). I will even dig out my old PEX blade and do a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Dru-Er View Post
    My mr bladed amber > Corbin bladed one. Can't do side by side since I only own one amber. But to my eyes now that you mention it...
    Well... THIS is not actually all that surprising, since the "Corbin style" film is more geared toward the "coring + extension / retraction" illusion... vs. an "evenly lit" setup.

Still, a good idea to check it out, Dru!

Basically, I simply noticed that for the "wrapped gift wrap" style vs. "MR diffuser and/or TCSS diffuser"... there was that strange vibrant color anomaly.

Who knows. MAYBE it appears as such with other colors, but... I haven't been able to make that distinction. In other words...

* The Gelu/Ultra style "gift wrap" blade (GOD WE NEED A SIMPLE NAME FOR THIS) seems to appear better--almost without exception in the cases of green, royal blue, red, red-o. Some blues too, but... I don't have a lot of these.

* However... it appears that some Ambers and (maybe?) Cyans can "suffer" the opposite reaction.

AH. The wonderful bass-ackwards and confusing world of light. GARK.