Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do you prefer EL blades

Smile Why do you prefer EL blades

Hey
    Al right! i Did the same thing in the LED forum...
    well well ppl!
    i came here once some months ago, then i got busy doing my own lightsaber as my school project!
    My lightsaber turned to trash (lol) because at the end, the leds didnt light up the way i wanted, so i gave up, but who cares??

Im here to ask u guys, why do you prefer the EL blade than the LEd blade
    The pros and cons of building an EL, and whatever

Because i dont want to make any mistakes again xP

thanks a lot
    Nuttin' to Declearr

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't know if anyone prefers EL over LED. Most of us who have been into custom light up sabers for more than 5 years used them, because that's what was out there. Many people here have probably never even had an EL saber.

The only advantage I see is the ease in changing blade color. It only takes a few seconds to take out one color of blade, and pop in another.

It's more involved with an MHS LED saber. Take the blade out, unscrew the blade holder, take out the optics, disconnect the LED, remove the heat sink it seats on, connect another, seat the heat sink into the blade holder, put the optics back onto the LED, carefully screw the blade holder back on and put the blade back in. It takes about 20 sec. or so, for those who are practiced at it.

But EL blades will never measure up to the brightness and color of an LED saber, IMO.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I think Loreen is right here (as usual), especially since EL is an "older" technology. It happens to the best of them--they get old.

I will say though... that you *CAN* make extremely quick-swap setups to change the color for even an LED "luxeon" kind of setup... even with TCSS parts. Thing is, for every color you wanted to change to, you'd pretty much want to have:

* Another LED (duh)
    * Another heatsink
    * Another optic lens
    * Another blade mount (here's where it gets less "obvious")
    * Possibly some kind of twist and lock coupler
    * quick disconnect latch (duh)

This way, you're all set on the quick color change as well.

Or, just use an RGB LED with switches.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

EL Blades simply do not compare. And they dim as the batteries drain. And they're already not very bright.

My old lightsaber (now converted muahahhah~!) was an EL saber. And it was cool, for about a month. Then I noticed how dim it really was, and the blade flexed when you fought like it was a spaghetti noodle. (still can't find the spell checker)

At the time, EL was as good as we had so you had to like them. Now, I'd prefer that it stays on Timex watches where it came from.

Maverick

EDIT: Dang Nova you're fast. He is correct though. Switching colors with an LED saber is not nearly a pain as you might think as long as you plan for it. I don't see it taking more than a few minutes.

As was pointed out to me a while back EL does have a real safety advantage for kiddie sabers over LED...if one is making a 'youngling saber' for the 'hyper-curious' sort of kid who might be tempted to take take out [or break] the blade and 'look at the purty coloured light' [YIPES!] that advantage alone might make EL well worthy of consideration for that specific application and kind of user.

I disagree quite a bit here. The blade can be set up so that NO child could take them out without EXPLICITLY knowing exactly how to do so and without retrieving the proper tool.

Examples: uh, pretty much ALL of my sabers. They all utilize "recessed" hex head screws which (whether flush/level with the hilt or not)... are nearly impossible to just twist out with your fingers. Especially impossible if you're a kid and you don't have finger strength + resolve and can ignore the pain of "pinching" threads while twisting!

Sure... they could get pliers or gloves and try to mickey mouse the thing off... but... not if the screw is relatively "flush" with the hilt itself... and (heheheh)...

...not if there's a SECOND blade screw hiding in the shadows underneath some part where they wouldn't look.

Anyhow... I understand the idea for safety, and believe me--I would like to see someone remove the blades on my sabers. I don't make it easy, as... they go in the hands of children most every week!

(children BESIDES Novastar, that is... )
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

On the rare instances that I post, I tend to harp on this point...

EL blades are considerably heavier than LED blades. It's the simple matter that more goes into the blades. They look great because of the uniform color, but if you're going to be swinging them around or dueling then LED is the more sensible choice especially if you're dueling becuase breaking an LED blade is an $11.00 problem (if you even manage to break it - well done if you do). Breaking an EL blade might cost the same if the only damage is to the polycarbonate. But they're still more labor-intensive to fix.

Default Light Scourge

I'm gonna get yelled at for posting on a old dead post...

but this seems the most appropriate spot.

I was looking into making a Light Scourge... and i was on the durability of EL wire, and if this is a stupid idea... Suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grey Leader:Standing By.

Recruiting now. Contact me for Emblem.

DONATE YOUR LIGHTSABER TO THE FIGHT AGAINST AUTISM!!! ASK ME HOW!!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Trying to hook up more than a few EL wires together is a pain in the butt. I once did 3, to try braiding them together inside a blade, and it was quite a chore to keep all the small wires intact.

Unless you can come up with some kind of really good strain relief, it's not going to be that durable, if you break one of the 2 small wires, that piece of wire no longer lights up.

And it's also not real flexible if it's the High Brightness wire, that's kind of stiff.

I would not recommend this as a project for someone who has never worked with EL wire before.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

fair enough... thanks! ill look into other options!

Grey Leader:Standing By.

Recruiting now. Contact me for Emblem.

DONATE YOUR LIGHTSABER TO THE FIGHT AGAINST AUTISM!!! ASK ME HOW!!