Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations, Anyone?

Question Recommendations, Anyone?

What would the best soldering station to get when just starting out? I don't want to invest too much money in the tools, but I don't want a POS, either so I'm looking for a happy medium. Any Ideas? Feel free to post me some links...
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Default radio

check your local radio shack too because they have simple pencil irons (Weller) that are inexpensive and good.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I like Weller products.

I have an old Ungar basic iron that has served me in good stead for many years, but nothing as fancy as an actual solder station, like I usually use at the assembly jobs I've had.

I have a basic Weller in the drawer waiting to be used, because when my Ungar tip wears out, I don't have anymore, because the store where I bought it probably 16 years ago, no longer carries them.

If you don't want to pay $100 or more, this looks like decent starter station.

I used to use one like this at one job where I worked for 4 1/2 years. http://cgi.ebay.com/936-12-Hakko-Solder-Station-ESD-Safe-Factory-Fresh-New_W0QQitemZ380067473238QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item3 80067473238&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A12 05%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

There's all kinds of stuff on ebay. I never thought to look there.

You definitely want a pencil type of iron, like you'll see with the solder stations, not a gun, like this:

My dad had one of these, but it's not for the type of soldering you'll be doing on lightsabers.

And whatever you do, stay away from that stupid Cold Heat gadget, it's a piece of crap.

Hmm, I spotted an Ungar tip that fits my iron, but I don't want to pay over $13 with shipping, for one.

I prefer a small chisel type of tip, rather than one that is pointy, I think they are easier to work with, and put more heat on your work, but you need to be very careful when soldering on a circuit board. Too much heat for too long can damage the solder pad or lift it off the board.

If you have any old electronic devices you don't use anymore, I'd suggest finding a scrap board to practice on, don't just practics soldering on wires.

I don't know of the various soldering tutorials mention this, but you should keep your tip tinned, when you're not using it.

To do this, clean your tip one last time, then melt a layer of solder over the tip (both sides, if using a chisel tip) and turn off or unplug your iron, letting the solder cool on the tip. This protects the tip and keeps it from oxidizing when you're not using it.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]

And whatever you do, stay away from that stupid Cold Heat gadget, it's a piece of crap.

I prefer a small chisel type of tip, rather than one that is pointy, I think they are easier to work with, and put more heat on your work, but you need to be very careful when soldering on a circuit board. Too much heat for too long can damage the solder pad or lift it off the board.

If you have any old electronic devices you don't use anymore, I'd suggest finding a scrap board to practice on, don't just practics soldering on wires.

I don't know of the various soldering tutorials mention this, but you should keep your tip tinned, when you're not using it.

To do this, clean your tip one last time, then melt a layer of solder over the tip (both sides, if using a chisel tip) and turn off or unplug your iron, letting the solder cool on the tip. This protects the tip and keeps it from oxidizing when you're not using it.
    I'm pretty new at this too but I 2nd that cold heat review, what a waste!!
    And thanks for the tips! (pun un-tended)
    Darth Flatulous

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Weller is an extremely good brand as JLo stated.

I use the third one on this page:
    http://www.mpja.com/productsdirect.a...item5=17204+TL

It's been extremely good to me and the tip selection is great. I've used it for well over a year and extremely happy with it. (FAKE EDIT: MPJA appears to rebrand Hakko's like the one JLo linked because the setup is extremely similar)

I don't own this one but I've been very tempted because I sometimes go home and don't want to haul the whole setup with me. It also appear to use the same tip setup as my normal one.
    http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16924+TL

If you don't plan on doing anything small a pencil iron from radioshack will do for a few sabers. If you really plan on doing electronics a good iron is worth the investment.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

This is what I use:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672981

The description says that it is 30 watt, but the label on the iron itself says 35 watt. Whatever...

It works pretty well for me, but I find that I have to replace the tip after every few soldering jobs. I'm going to try that tip about tinning my tip when I'm done. That might be the problem. Thanks J-Lo!

Thanks for all the info, guys! I'll check it all out as soon as I can. This was the one I was looking at, let me know what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-...=36GAE997G47TE

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

That was my old soldering iron and it served me well for years. You’ll go through some tips, but nothing out of the ordinary. Just keep it clean and run it about 4-5 on the dial, when it gets dirty it won’t melt solder very well and you’ll have the tendency to want to turn up the settings and that’s where you’ll start ruining your projects.

All in all, a good starter set-up.

Thanks, Cade! I'm gonna do some more research before I buy, and any info helps.

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ