Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weird Problem with Corbin Driver

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, because corbin's board alternates the amperage faster than your eye can see. The great part is it only consumes the average of the two amperages for power.[]

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?

Want to roleplay in the SW universe? Visit:
    </center>

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I am not sure if it is brighter but it uses less battery power.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Ok - so the moral of the story is that I need to fix my driver problem.

I will take a photo tonight and post it. I will be trying to hookup another 1 or 2 AAs onto it using rechargeables, in case the problem is the batteries.

Hopefully it will still fit in the hilt!

Well with four freshly charged batteries, I can still duplicat the behavior you are describing.

As it turns out, it does not matter how long the contacts stay closed(the button or switch held down). Once the contact is open(button released)the circuit performs an action,turning on the LED, or turning it off.

My hypothesis at this point, is that if the switch does not open cleanly, then the circuit will falter, and the LED will ramp up and back down. If you are using a soft touch switch, like the one out of a hasbro saber, it has a "floaty" plastic contact with a coated conducting surface. If the contact comes away from the pcb contacts at an angle, it may not be coming off the contacts quickly or cleanly enough. And there by futzing the circuit to the LED.

Try hooking up a quality switch and see if that helps.
    I think it will.[8D]

Nyow!
    /
    =^o^=

Ok - right now I am giving up for the moment on the Corbin's driver. Tried a new switch and that didn't work. Same problem. Just seems to be a bit of pain more than anything. I will see how I go with sound only.

it may be the board itself then.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Finally - I got it to work. I noticed on the switch circuit on the Corbin's board that there was a small nick across it, it was enough to break the circuit. I bridged it with a small amount of solder and now it works. Thanks for all your pointers everyone.

Awsome troubleshooting dude, that's one of those nightmare deals that you just want to pull all your hair out.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

good goin dude. nice catch. how much hair ya got left? after yanking it out over this. lol

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

I was just glad, it wasn't because I'd fried anything. I'm in the process of ty to decide what the saber is going to look like. Once finished I will post a picture on the appropriate thread.