Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hasbro Voltage @ 6volts?

wish i would of tryed that first.... just coated this thing in hot glue and now its not working no more >.> dunno what it was. trying to remove glue now to trubleshoot. no sound or anything its like its not getting juice

[update] found the problem. apperntly the hot glue melts at the same timprature as the cheap-o wires used on the board. so i had to put new wires on it and working like a charm now and id say this thing is waterproof now XD
    Last edited by Danz409; 10-26-2008 at 11:18 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    best blaster refracting emitter... 450 Imperial Credits
    custom quadrinineum crystal... 1020 Imperial Credits
    droxsus catheum power cell... 400 Imperial Credits

knowing you just built the most awesome saber... priceless. there are some things money can't buy for everything else. there's the Master Imperial Credit card.

also i found a 9.6v RC car battery that contains 8 of these 1.2v NiCD battery. if i get 4 out and use the same charger on the 4 pack, would it charge it just as well. or being its lower voltage would things go horribly wrong?

the charger is a basic 12volt DC transformer (200mw) don't see no smart shutoff device or voltage meeter or anything. just as basic as the one that's on any other DC electronic device

knowing you just built the most awesome saber... priceless. there are some things money can't buy for everything else. there's the Master Imperial Credit card.

Default fine board

actually, there are a lot of RC batteries I am curious about. Check out the NiMH ones for the Micro-T some time. They are tiny and 4.8V. The hasbro board works fine from a 4 AA battery pack. I did some hard core troubleshooting and found that the battery pack itself had a weak connection. One of the tabs melted somehow. Anyway, things are working great now. I have liquid electrical tape that I am going to try using on a spare board and see how well it works. It is supposed to be di-electric.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFender View Post
    Hi,

A resistor will not decrease the voltage, it will only decrease the current. You will probably want to a voltage regulator instead. Your local electronic components store should have 5v regs. But Instead of that I would set up with a 4 cell NiMH Rechargeable Battery pack. 4.8 volts. That will be close enough for government work. Then no regulator would be needed.

I like that fade effect. It looks really cool. I;m gonne study your circuit and reproduce it for a saber i'm building for my nephew.
    Actually thats not 100% correct. According to Kirchoff's Voltage Law, the voltage around a closed circuit must equal to zero. If the drop for the sound card is 4.5vs then the resistor would have to handle the extra voltage, 1.5v. If the current flow is 1 amp then the resistor would have to be 1.5 ohm.

According to Kirchoff's current law, the current flowing into a point must equal to current flowing away from a point. Current in this case would be divided equally between the resistor and the sound board.

The difference in figuring this out is that the Sound board is not just one single component but a whole set of circuits with its own loops etc. So this solution is not as easy as it seems. Now you're dealing more loops and more components.

As for the original question. Yes you need a resistor there. You also need a diode to prevent the current mixing between the two loops.

here's a new question, i can use 4 of those RC car batteries in the battery holder provided, but would the charger that originally works with the full set of 8 work on just 4? if so, ill just use the same charger and keep same connector on but tucked away inside the hilt, these things are exactly AA size so it will work perfectly and give me the 4.7 so no resister will be needed for the Hasbro and only a 1 ohm 2 watt will be needed for the LED

The answer is no. You should not be using the charger for 8 batteries on 4 batteries. Thats double the voltage. If you want batteries exploding on you, go ahead and try. Unless the charger has a setting for the lower voltage, charging those with the wrong voltage can be detrimental to your health.

the charger itself reads 12 volts, how does that work with the 9.6 volts?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Rechargeables are like sponges. You feed them extra and they absorb it. I could show it on a video, but a description will have to do. When I manually charge batteries with my PSU I set the voltage higher... for example 12V for a 9.6V pack like yours. It will take a lot of current at first, then it slows. It's cool to see in person. When it's "charged" it will stop taking current.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Again, I don't recomend charging 6 volts of batteries with a 12 volt charger. The output of the 12 volt charger is actually closer to 15 volts and will damage your batteries permanantly.

What X-wing says is true to some extent but there is a voltage tolerance limit on the batteries. 6 extra volts exceeds this limit.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

True, for NiCD and NiMH that limit is 1.5V per cell. So 12V is right for a 9.6V battery pack.

The problem is when you are using a charger with the wrong voltage it won't know when to stop. It still thinks the batteries are low on charge and keeps feeding it. That's true for "dumb" and "smart" chargers.
    RED LEADER Standing by!