Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: CF4.0 with 11.1v battery pack?

I agree Novastar, I think the simplest is what Erv suggested. Three IN4001 rectifier diodes will drop the voltage by 2.1 v (I believe the voltage drop is about .7 v per diode). The IN4001s have a max current rating of 1A though so you might want to use higher rated types but the idea is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post

Would this be wrong? Could you convert "high" voltage X to 10v prior to going to CF and CF would be "none the wiser", so-to-speak?
    The above diode solution still wastes the extra current/voltage as heat. To be more efficient, a switching voltage regulator would have a higher efficiency especially for cases where the input voltage is much higher than the output voltage

Btw, just so you guys know. Even though I have a EE degree, my expertise is in Digital electronics, I suck at power systems.
    Last edited by MoonDragn; 11-04-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
    ...Three IN4001 rectifier diodes will drop the voltage by 2.1v... [but the] diode solution still wastes the extra current/voltage as heat. To be more efficient, a switching voltage regulator would have a higher efficiency especially for cases where the input voltage is much higher than the output voltage.
    This I understand as well... that the diodes here would "burn off" the extra voltage as heat (much like a resistor's result)... and it'd be a bummer... but...

...if you REALLY wanted to use "11.1v" with CF--there ya go.

I also see where you're going with the whole idea of:

1. Ok, we have "11.1v", which is effectively a "true" 12v or 13v... too much for CF!!
    2. Ok, I need to pull back on the reins here and not let so much current and voltage through!!! Whoa, Nelly!
    3. Wait, hmm... I don't REALLY want to waste the extra V and A into heat--if I can possibly avoid it... but... can I?
    4. Ok, I think I can do it. Sure, I COULD use rectifiers... but they'd still waste stuff. So... it's gonna go:

* BATTERIES (11.1v+) -->
    * VOLTAGE & CURRENT GATE (in this case, you said "switching voltage regulator") -->
    * CF ... and so now... CF is "none the wiser" that I ever began with > a true 11v... AND I'm going to benefit from the extra juice overall in the long run anyhow. Good stuff...

So... sweet! At least... I hope. That is... is this all just theory but in reality the solution is still flawed? Or... is it possible?

For all those who don't know... I have *NO* degree in EE or anything electronic-wise. I'm just a wise-guy with a sword or something...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

basically an among switching mode regulator isn't a "bad" idea, it's just that you're going to waste power a little bit. However, since the regulation is just stepping a volt or so from the batt pack effeciency could run up to 96 or 98% so... yes, why not
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com