Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: drth maul question

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
    Actually its very obvious whats wrong. One of the leads is touching the metal heatsink. Put some electrical tape on all the exposed wires and contacts.

If thats not it, then make sure the front of the LED with the exposed contacts is not touching metal.
    Wow, good eyes bro, It just looks like a mass of nothin' to me in those pix!

I'd still resolder and heatshrink everything so there are no further problems!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

well I can tell from just his explaination. Thats usually what happens when you get sound and no light, because the wire going to the light is being shorted out.

But the picture with the heatsink on one side confirms it, you can clearly see it exposed in one picture. if you connect those two halves back together the solder points are going to touch the heatsink.

Default ?

Would it be easier to tear apart the old soldered piece and practice soldering it and just but a new DIY Luxeon conversion kit? If so what are the pieces I need. I have been to the TCSS shop, and am not sure what I am looking for. I saw something for $19, but it said I needed other pieces ie lens etc. Not sure what to go w/ Lux III, or other that could make it brighter.

You don't NEED to buy anything. Your LED is fine, the optics are most likely fine, your soundboard is fine.

What is NOT fine is the wiring between the LED and the soundboard. You'll need to repair that. Once you do, and your connections are solid and protected with heatshrink, you won't have problems anymore.

If you WANT to change the LED, you're in the position to do it now. You've already got her torn apart. For the Maul, pick any color of Lux III that you like, 5 degree optics. What kind of blade is this saber equipped with? Maybe a change of blade is in order if you're looking for brightness.
    Last edited by Jonitus; 10-29-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

[QUOTE=Jonitus;108080]You don't NEED to buy anything. Your LED is fine, the optics are most likely fine, your soundboard is fine.

What is NOT fine is the wiring between the LED and the soundboard. You'll need to repair that. Once you do, and your connections are solid and protected with heatshrink, you won't have problems anymore.
    QUOTE]

Exactly! Just redo the soldering, heatshrink it and you've got it! Oh yeah, if you want to change the color all you really need is the new LED in whatever color you want.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Default Thank you

Thank you to all who have taken the time to help me. I really appreciate all the knowledge I have gained from all of you. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!