Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: drth maul question

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I talked to him..What he meant was it had been converted with a TCSS conversion kit.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Your first post here did not indicate that you knew anything about what an LED is, or what was actually making your saber blade light up. A lot of people know that the older Hasbro sabers had an incadescent bulb in them, not an LED.

I just thought you were someone who bought a converted MR saber off of ebay and didn't know anything about it beyond how to turn it on.

If you have seen as many posts from lazy newbies as many of us have, then you'll understand why I responded the way I did.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a lot about MR conversions, because, frankly Master Replicas sabers don't interest me, so I don't own any.

But I am not an idiot, either. If you look at my registration date, you will see that I have also been here a very long time, as well.

So, maybe if you cool your jets, drop the attitude and ask your questions in a civil manner, you will get the help you are asking for.

I aplogize for my first post, but you did kind of bring it on yourself, to degree, with the way you posted.

Perhaps if you had started out your first post stating that you had been looking for answers, to no avail, then maybe people would have been more understanding. This is a community of both give and take. You need to give an indication of what you have searched for and where, and maybe people here could be more helpful to you.

I guess I should just leave the posting to newbies to people with more patience than I often possess. Some times I'm better at doing that than others.

And I don't know if you meant something snide by calling me "big blue" or you were comparing me to the IBM computer, either way, that comment wasn't appreciated.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Default Thanks

I got the saber open and it seems to be a short due to poor soldering skills. It was a DIY kit from TCSS NOT a custom job from TCSS. Bad use of wording on my behalf. THANKS to all for your help, and once again THANK YOU for all of the constructive criticism, and sorry for the bad attitude, it WILL NOT happen again. I was frustrated that after all the days (3 to be exact) searching I could not find what I was looking for. You are all Jedi Masters and I will try to word things differently next time. A BIG THANKS to Tim who after seeing pics led me in the right direction. Any suggestions on how to re-solder the wiring?

We'll need some pictures of this. Depending on what's going on, we can direct you. Can you solder? Do you have the tools to do it?

Default Thanks and sorry

I got the saber open and it seems to be a short due to poor soldering skills. It was a DIY kit from TCSS NOT a custom job from TCSS. Bad use of wording on my behalf. THANKS to all for your help, and once again THANK YOU for all of the constructive criticism, and sorry for the bad attitude, it WILL NOT happen again. I was frustrated that after all the days (3 to be exact) searching I could not find what I was looking for. You are all Jedi Masters and I will try to word things differently next time. A BIG THANKS to Tim who after seeing pics led me in the right direction. Any suggestions on how to re-solder the wiring? Big apologies to Blue 8 I don't mean any harm.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Wow, sounds like my suggestion was rather insightful (since it looks like it was RIGHT)! I'm glad you found it. If you can solder, follow this link and it will get you where you need to go!http://www.ultrasabers.com/v/diypdf/index.html

See what a little communication can yield!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

We need to get rid of those saber makers with bad soldering skills pawning their work on the markets. Can you imagine if someone made a saber with lithium ion cells with bad soldering and sold it? Somebody out there could be exploding.

Default Pics for maul saber

I have pics for the poorly done soldering job on the maul everyone has been helping me with. The funny thing is that everything sound, and light work outside the hilt, but when inserted back into the hilt, I only get sound. I am not sure exactly what I am looking at and if these are bad angles let me know and I will get better ones for all. Again, thanks for the help. I am not a photographer and know these look horrible, and am working on better ones. SORRY

inside maul 3.jpg

inside maul 4.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

inside maul 2.jpg

Council Member
    Sith Lord

The pix are too blurry. What I would do in this case is take the thing completely apart (the conversion anyways) and start over. The link I posted before will walk you through it. And don't use scotch tape like the idiot that originally did the conversion! Only use electrical tape or heatshrink (I think ultra suggests electrical tape in the tutorial)
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Actually its very obvious whats wrong. One of the leads is touching the metal heatsink. Put some electrical tape on all the exposed wires and contacts.

If thats not it, then make sure the front of the LED with the exposed contacts is not touching metal.
    Last edited by MoonDragn; 10-28-2008 at 12:19 PM.