Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "noobs"... that's where we all started

Default "noobs"... that's where we all started

First of all this isn't meant to bash people for asking questions and seeking answers especially if they're just getting started and aren't sure how to proceed with light saber electronics or even MHS hilt building.
    If you are in fact a "noob" and you have a ton of questions jumping out in your head I would definitely suggest one thing... look thoroughly through the forums on this site first before posting questions. More than likely you're going to find your questions have already been asked at least once and even better you'll find answers to questions you haven't even asked yet. Make use of the forum search function. It works well. Look closely at the pictures posted... there are a ton of them. Visuals can help you make sense of things when sometimes words are too confusing.
    Finally, if you feel the need to begin your very first question post by stating somewhere in the title or message that you're just "too lazy to look first" then I assure you this probably isn't the hobby you should start. Putting together a working hilt takes time and energy. The more you're willing to expend the sweeter your results are going to be.

I hope this doesn't attract a ton of response postings but I do hope that newer people will consider these things before proceeding.

The problem with threads like this, no matter how noble they may first seem... is that n00bs don't read them.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

"Hear Hear!"

Perfectly stated, Bee. After that, I have nothing to say. So instead, I'll raise a glass in both agreeance and to welcome all the new members, and self-proclaimed "noobs".

I look forward to chatting, helping, and learning from all of you out there.

edit: oh gurr, morbius - you're quick...

Yes but my statement is the unfortunate truth.

It's nice to help out, but when people don't help themselves, what is the point?

Not that I am one to spew negativity, but it happens more often than not.

That is all too true. Lately the forums have had many people coming and posting, "I didn't even bother to think about looking around the forums, the thought didn't even enter into my head, so can you guys help me? *smile of attempted innocence*"

This isn't a jab at anyone in particular, I'm simply stating the fact that Morbius is correct. And the truth sucks on occassion.

Now, I'm not trying to bring down what B said. Not in the slightest. We simply need to persevere. If we keep gently knocking heads instead of knocking them with vigor, hope will prevail, right?

Maverick

Default noob help

as a new member (read nooooooob)
    and someone who JUST completed his first saber (kinda)
    while I read as much as possible. its hard to organize all the answers to all your questions that you read in the various different locations into an assembly list and process.

While I agree that self-reliance is a beautiful thing and everyone should use the search feature and try to educate themselves as much as possible before asking questions, there’s also another virtue we should all try to work on…Patience.

I know…I know…. sometimes it’s very difficult. Sometimes someone asks a question and 2 posts up is the exact same question that has already been answered and if they’d have just looked up…GRRRR…I understand…don’t take it personally.

I moderate on another board and it happens all the time. When you’re new to a site and there’s all this info inundating you, it’s like you have blinders on. You see 2 dimensionally, and as humans they generally take the path of least resistance.

Every board wants to be successful and a large part of that is making the noobs feel at home and not scaring them away. Constructive criticism is great, but if for some reason you don’t have the patience to answer someone without being negative, move-on…don’t post…do you realized the time it takes to post something negative is about the same time it takes to post a link directing that person to their answer. Sometimes people just want to talk, get to know everyone, and a stupid noob question is a reasonable and the most thought of icebreaker.

Post counts mean nothing and you don’t have to answer every post, especially when you have nothing constructive to offer. This thread is very constructive but like someone already said, try getting a noob to read it. LOL

In time you come to accept the noob questions because they are here to stay whether we like it or not. The only thing we can control is how we respond.

I'm a noob...and I just read it, thank you very much!
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Cade View Post
    While I agree that self-reliance is a beautiful thing and everyone should use the search feature and try to educate themselves as much as possible before asking questions, there’s also another virtue we should all try to work on…Patience.

I know…I know…. sometimes it’s very difficult. Sometimes someone asks a question and 2 posts up is the exact same question that has already been answered and if they’d have just looked up…GRRRR…I understand…don’t take it personally.

I moderate on another board and it happens all the time. When you’re new to a site and there’s all this info inundating you, it’s like you have blinders on. You see 2 dimensionally, and as humans they generally take the path of least resistance.

Every board wants to be successful and a large part of that is making the noobs feel at home and not scaring them away. Constructive criticism is great, but if for some reason you don’t have the patience to answer someone without being negative, move-on…don’t post…do you realized the time it takes to post something negative is about the same time it takes to post a link directing that person to their answer. Sometimes people just want to talk, get to know everyone, and a stupid noob question is a reasonable and the most thought of icebreaker.

Post counts mean nothing and you don’t have to answer every post, especially when you have nothing constructive to offer. This thread is very constructive but like someone already said, try getting a noob to read it. LOL

In time you come to accept the noob questions because they are here to stay whether we like it or not. The only thing we can control is how we respond.
    Excellent point.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    ...I'll raise a glass in both agreeance and to welcome...
    Agreeance???