Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Corbin's Dad

Oh dear indeed! I hope your grandfather has a swift and good recovery.

Maverick ;-;

I am do sorry to hear that. He will be in my thoughts and prayers
    "There are no Jedi who cannot be Seduced! With time they will all Fall. Do not underestimate the Temptations of the Dark Side!"

+LordBane+

Hey Corbin, I hope he recovers soon.

Thanks everyone.

A quick update, as I'm on a computer at the library across from the hospital (a few of us are having lunch).....

No real change. We're not sure how much he remembers yet, as he can't talk and doesn't respond to us very well. Entire left side is still paralysed.

If nothing else, I suppose I can use this experience to try and keep myself in better health. My mom had a stroke a few years back, so now with my dad having one, I imagine that means I'm more susceptible to something like that.

Psab, sorry to hear about your workmate. I hope he recovers well. Strokes suck.

Hasid, I'm glad to hear Grandmothra is doing better.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Your dad and you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Do keep us posted.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Sorry to hear this, Corbin. I hope he gets well soon!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Unhappy

Hi Joe!!
    I'm So sorry to hear about your father!!I remember when my father had his stroke.he recovered and I pray that your father does too!!

Thoughts and prayers Corbin, I am sure your father is being well cared for and I hope to hear of his recovery soon
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

I had a feeling something wasn't right, since I hadn't seen nor heard from you in a quite a bit. I was getting worried, as I remember speaking with you on the phone a bit about your father.

I've mentioned before I'm not a religious man, but... my thoughts and prayers have been there--a minute here, a minute there these past weeks ("I haven't heard from Corbin"... "Aw man, I hope his father is ok"... "hey, Corbin's EYE better be OK too!!! )

My grandfather had a stroke many many MANY years ago, and it was pretty tough for everyone. Granted, you just do your best--it's all you can do.

We're all mortal, and I do not wish to be a downer, but... one day--I won't be here to make any goofy quips, nor get spell-checked by J-Lo, nor confused by Hasid...

But I *DO* know that everyone remembers people for who they are and were... not whether they are alive, sick, or otherwise.

So... I don't know. Maybe... tell us about him and how important he is to you? It's a bold thing to say, but... you know me: I'm a freakin' jack-arse...

Even Shakespeare spoke that immortalization comes from the written word.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Hi all
    At this point, it's all I can do to try and be strong for my Mom and siblings. With things being up in the air in regards to how much residual abilities my Dad will get back, it's kinda hard to come to terms with everything, because nothing is "finalized" yet. We're still waiting to see what type of situation we're going to have to deal with.

As of right now, he can't speak or move his left side. He has a hard time opening his eyes and we can't tell if he even recognizes us yet. They are still running tests to determine what areas have been affected and to what degree, but observing his abilities & disabilities are a better indicator I think. So it's a wait and see game right now.

My memories of my Dad are mostly happy ones....

My Dad taught me to be true to yourself, even if you lose friends over it. I've only had that happen a couple times, but felt better in the long run for not comprimising myself just to conform to someone else's expectations of me. He use to say "If you want to be a sell out, that's your business.... just don't sell yourself out." I really appreciated that advice.

I also remember him responding to some rumor or another than a particular person was trying to spread about him. They ended up getting proved wrong and looked like a fool, but even so. When confronted with the rumor, my Dad refused to get caught up in feeding the flames by getting mad or trying to insult the person's character or anything. He just said "As long as it's the truth, it can't hurt me." And he left it at that.

My Dad tended to work a shift where I wasn't able to see him much as a kid. He'd be there for dinner usually, but would have to leave soon after and wouldn't get home until early in the morning (like 4AM or something). So he wasn't up when I got up for school and couldn't hang out to help me with homework or stuff like that after dinner. Still, when we DID get to hang out, we had a blast.

He helped me make a pinewood derby car for Cub Scouts. He encouraged my interest in inventing things and would help me to make them. Granted, most of them were pretty lame, but still. A few were pretty cool. We made a full auto BB gun that was fun.

Something that's relevant to the saber community, he helped me convert an old Mag Lite into a lightsaber by having a slip on blade holder I designed made up at his work. It used a solid acrylic rod for the blade and didn't light up nearly as well as the current Luxeon sabers. Years later, when Luxeon came out with a drop in LED upgrade for the Mag Lite, I got one and put it in "the beast", as we called it. While technically, this may have been one of the first Luxeon sabers, nothing was ever really done with it and the solid acrylic blade ended up getting broke, so the saber just got stored away somewhere in the garage. The darn blade holder was so huge around on this thing that it looked like a dumbell on one end. Definitely not a sleek saber.

Anyway, my Dad is a cool guy that helped a lot of people. Not just me. He used to take me to soup kitchens to volunteer with him or to just go around and hand out sandwiches to the homeless with me. He used to go to auctions and buy a bunch of surpluss coats and we'd hand them out to people that needed them at shelters and such. This type of thinking inspired me to approach my Junior High school and ask about setting up a program where we took the left over food they didn't serve us in the cafeteria and arrange to have it donated to the soup kitchen we volunteered at. The school was able to right off a portion of the cost of the food expense and they got to help people out at the same time. I'm not sure, but I think the school still does this.

My Dad was many things to many people, and we will never really know how many folks he helped over the years, but I'm sure that in his life, he helped far more people than he hurt. I'm positive of that.