Thread: Luxeon Driver/Dimmer schematic

Default Luxeon Driver/Dimmer schematic

as many may already know, i posted this in the wrong spot last time, sorry for that. missread costume as custom, lol, anyway

i asked for a schematic for a driver for luxion. a stand alone driver and so far the best lead i have was provided here,
    __________________________________________________ _____________

MoonDragn

http://led.linear1.org/a-cheap-curre...iver-design/1/

If you replace that resistor with a potentiometer, then you'll have a dimmer.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

i did some reasherch and this wont work, it is a variable system, im looking for something that will intently go from dim to bright when turned on and bright to dimmer when turned off without having to change the variable components. would be odd having to do that every time you power up and down
    ---------------------------------------------------
    best blaster refracting emitter... 450 Imperial Credits
    custom quadrinineum crystal... 1020 Imperial Credits
    droxsus catheum power cell... 400 Imperial Credits

knowing you just built the most awesome saber... priceless. there are some things money can't buy for everything else. there's the Master Imperial Credit card.

also. if i cant manage to make one of these. i saw that a pukbuck is a driver, does it do the dimming and power-up effect? if i can't manage to build one myself thats what ill do

knowing you just built the most awesome saber... priceless. there are some things money can't buy for everything else. there's the Master Imperial Credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Danz409 View Post
    also. if i cant manage to make one of these. i saw that a pukbuck is a driver, does it do the dimming and power-up effect? if i can't manage to build one myself thats what ill do
    A buck puck IS a Driver, a driver provides constant current even when the Battery's voltage is depleting. Corbin's v2 Driver, Ultra Sound v2.0 and the Crystal Focus provide the extension and retraction effect and various other flicker effects if that's what your looking for.

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Ahhh I misunderstood what you wanted to do...

Try this:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=126850

A basic darlington pair circuit. You have to change the resistors to fit the voltage you are using.(IE. For 6V just half all the resistors.)

The capacitor determines how fast the LED goes from dark to light.

The Resistor before the LED can be calculated using the resistor calculator on the store front page.

This took me about 1 minute to find on Google btw.
    Last edited by MoonDragn; 10-24-2008 at 11:48 AM.

What you need is this circuit plus something that automates the variable part. You will notice that the LED driver boards are far from a simple circuit, if it were too easy what would Ultra and Irv have to do?

I personally would consider a Pic chip which could control a relay or something more durable via PWM to provide the ramp up and down... I don't think you would want to run directly off the pic...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
    Ahhh I misunderstood what you wanted to do...

Try this:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=126850

A basic darlington pair circuit. You have to change the resistors to fit the voltage you are using.(IE. For 6V just half all the resistors.)

The capacitor determines how fast the LED goes from dark to light.

The Resistor before the LED can be calculated using the resistor calculator on the store front page.

This took me about 1 minute to find on Google btw.
    thats what im looking for. thanks MUCH, tho at work i was thinking of circut ideas and came up with this idea

of course you may need to change some of the values for resistors and capacitors to get the right effect, i haven't tested this yet. i don't have a bread board. ill be getting one once i get my check tho and mess around with these circuits. but if all else fails ill do the main one. it looks more solid anyway. this one will take a bit of research and development if it even works.
    Last edited by Danz409; 10-24-2008 at 08:08 PM.

ok, did some research and testing. and found my old plans wont work, that's not how caps work. so i came up with a new circuit and I'm working on it asap to see how it goes. here's the schematic

please tell me what you think

Default awesome

nice work. I just had a tip and I am not sure if I mentioned it. If you plan to use an IC like the LM317, 555 timer, or any other weird number chip then you may be able to snag some free samples from electronics websites. I use different ones for testing so if I find one that works really nice with sabers, I can buy 10 or 20 and still have it be pretty inexpensive.

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, on my one and only day off for the week i did some more study. i have bult a circut that does work rather well with the effects im looking for, for the cap being 6600 micro ferid i didn;t have that size so i striped 2 3300s off my old dead motherboard. and wired them up togeather to get the 6600, the fade out effect is still longer then the fade in. but is moste deffanitly able to be worked with. im shure changeing resistors value will fix this. heck. if you want you can put a verable resistor to change your effects at will, also increaceing capactence will effect how slow it fades in. but if you do this. you will also need to up the resistance. so a varable resistor would be best. overall. its what i plan to use and the swich im useing allows me to connect my hasbro sound on the same swich, so both power up at the same time. if your looking for the type of swich im useing its a 6 pin swich with 2 channels

PS, im shure with the higherwattage LEDs used in the sabers. the resistor may not even be needed. but for the low wattage standerd LED it as required to get the effect
    haven't got any saber parts yet, so iv yet to get to experiment with those
    Last edited by Danz409; 10-26-2008 at 06:47 PM.