Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Noob Question about C-rings & Pommels

Default Stupid Noob Question about C-rings & Pommels

I know this will sound stupid, but...HOW DO YOU GET THE LITTLE BAST***s in the Pommel! I just got my first part shipment with a pommel style 3 v2 and the c-ring will not fit to hold the bottom in place! There has to be something I'm missing! I don't want to glue it, because I'm not finished with a final hilt design so I thought this would allow me to change it around...So, what am I missing?
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The c-clip will work... just use a needle-nose pliers to compress it (stick the tips in the little eye holes) and it will fit dang near perfectly.

I use a set of snap ring pliers, like these ones
    Linky

See...I knew it was something simple! Thanks! I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't damage it first before I started trying to bend it. Thanks again!

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Note that even with those special pliers it can still be a pain in the neck to set the ring all the way to the bottom. I get it started and them insert a large socket in the pommel and tap it down. Pushes the ring flat to the bottom easily.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I got a snap ring plier set, with interchangable jaw tips that can be used for both internal and external snap rings.

This was after I made a tool by grinding down the jaw tips of a cheap pair of bent nose pliers to fit into the ring holes. It was still a PITA, and I scratched the inside of my first pommel I tried them on, as I was perfecting the design.

I decided I wanted the right tool for the job, next time....

I'm probably the only female in these forums (well, I pretty much am the only female here, anyway), who knows what almost all these tools are that people talk about. And have used most of the hand tools before, whether I currently own them or not.

I like the socket idea to push the ring down.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I have a set of those snap ring pliers, and I still scratch the heck out of the insides of the pommels. I can't seem to get it all the way to the bottom without the ring jumping off the pliers. I usually have to push it down the rest of the way.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's because the ring almost seats flush to the pommel, that's not the way other snap ring applications I've used have worked. You pretty much have to push it in.

I get the back of the ring seated in the slot, push the ends down as far as they will go with the pliers and push those in from the top edge, hoping the whole ring doesn't pop back out before I can get it all the way in.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Okay, all of the suggestions are good ones, but for those who have difficulty getting the rings all the way down, I have the solution for you! Follow the link below, it is to a plier set. The second pair from the right on the top row are the ones that I use for installing the tension rings. They work PERFECTLY because you can simply snap the ring right into place (no pushing oe scratching!). Granted, you have to buy (order) the whole kit, but I use most of these various pliers while making sabers anyways and they are available to order online!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...47+502489+2124
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Cool set! thanks! I need a set anyway! I'll save the link and maybe order them if I can't find locally.

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ