Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal chambers

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think crystals add that element of coolness that suggests "there's a little more here than you thought"... I guess I'm a fan of saber elements that offer character... you know? story...

I've actually done quite a few - and as DN inadvertantly alluded to - not all have turned out display worthy It's kind of like the weathering thing: there's a thousand ways to incorporate this, and if it's done right, then it's instant-awesome; there's no "wrong way" but many degrees of "not-quite-right"

I agree, the crystals thing is a pretty cool touch of panache that makes a saber pretty unique. Another reason why I love the ones Yoda (of fx-sabers) makes. Cool.

Another way to go is to simply allow LEDs to shine from the inside via "cheese grater holes" in the hilt or a viewport/grate/screen... and let people's imaginations carry through the rest... AND allow you more space on the inside for other components. An example is here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2iaDEhfd4yo

Granted, this saber is nowhere near the complexity of something custom-machined, nor would someone have to use multiple-colored LEDs in separate places inside the hilt. You can do it any way ya like...

Imagination = sky is the limit.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I like the crystals, but did not have space in my saber for one. I have too many LEDs on the hilt (Thanks CF for allowing me to get carried away). Since I could not fit a crystal, I added a "Crystal LED" as I call it. The LED is wired in with the main K2 LED so that it has the same effects - power up/down, clash, etc. My "Poor Man's" crystal.

-Ryan

Of course if you get a real ruby and a helical flash tube... it would no longer be just for looks...

Default vader

when I cracked open the hasbro vader, I took out the LED housing. It looks like the parts can be re-assembled into a crystal chamber but I am still working on a usable design.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by rdricks View Post
    The LED is wired in with the main K2 LED so that it has the same effects - power up/down, clash, etc....
    That's called a Progressive Power-On LED or "PPO"

Awesome! Once I get proficient at the wiring, I'm gonna try the crystal thing! That just looks too cool to pass up! Any good places online to get Cheap pre-cut clear quartz?
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't use real mineral crystals... never have...

I've used either the acrylic ones from the store or I carve out my own from acrylic cylinders. They're just easier to work with IMO.

I've made a pretty effective crystal chamber using a quartz shard that I shaped with my dremel and lit with an simple LED and computer battery mount (a 2032 3w). The color comes out nice, and the small 'imperfections' give it a kinda sparkley look to the crystal.

have a looksie

"Absolutely not. You're not going to the dark side on my watch. Do it on Luke's."
    ―Corran Horn, to Tahiri Veila

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Wow! That's very, VERY clever... using the pommels and inserts like that. I hope you don't mind, but I'm totally gonna rip-off that idea!

A+ duder!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Jedi View Post