Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal chambers

Default Crystal chambers

I'm very new to this, but really want to learn so please take it easy on me...I just saw that some people use real crystals! How does this work? Is it just for looks or does it have a pratical use? Also, I've never done any kind of electrical work before, so can some one tell me if the wiring required is easy to learn? I would hate to invest in a led kit and screw it up. What can I do to practice? Thanks!
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The crystals are purely for looks. They provide no actual function. The artists of the visual dictionaries drew in focusing crystals above the power cells and it's been written in books that jedi and sith use crystals so people sometimes like to go the "extra mile" for realism.

For wiring: look at the tutorial forums below. Look for soldering videos online. If you want practice you're really just going to have to review those and play with some wire. Soldering is like the metal version of hot glue.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply! You guys are awesome!

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Default hilt

It looks like you cut a hole in your hilt. I happen to have a few hole saws but square shaped chambers may require some dremel work. Then you can wire a LED under a quartz crystal or acrylic crystal (sold at TCSS shop). Install it in the hilt and throw a metal mesh and sink tube over it and..viola!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

There are some great soldering tutorials on utube (Erv has a great one!) Here is a link to his channel--->http://www.youtube.com/user/irvinplecter

P.s.- Practice and reading make perfect my brother!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Default You Guys RULE!

Again, I say you guys are great! Coolest, nicest, most helpful message board community I've ever used! What did you all do to all the A-holes that usually lurk on the internet! With you guys behind me, I believe I can do it! I hope to become a constant presence on the boards! My first order of MHS parts are due any day now, then I hope to order some electronics and go for my first build! Thanks again!

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_rob View Post
    What did you all do to all the A-holes that usually lurk on the internet!
    Hit them with lightsabers, naturally
    Welcome, enjoy your stay.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

I know easter57 has done a couple...well at least one I can think of that came out very well. I have made one as well just never wired it up...the parts are easily accessible at any hardware store and you can use a bright LED that would sit below the crystal and shine the light up and through it. Try and get a piece of crystal that is veined because the way the light from the LED hits it really makes it stand out.

My 2 cents anyway.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I made a hilt with one. I ran a Star/O LED off 2AAAs direct drive. Worked very well and was super bright. Brighter than the blade, in fact, which was driven by a 5W LED.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

crystal chambers are very cool IMO... BTW welcome to the forums!