Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A just in case question

Default A just in case question

I don't ask many questions and I did a few searches but I wanted to know two things.

I placed my order for my hilt supplies minus a few screws, but next pay check I will be ordering my electronics, screws and other various things. My question is this.

Right now my design is going to have a buckpuck 1000mA running a red Lux III, but later I am going to want strip down one of the force fx yoda's that I found cheap on craigslist for the sound card.. Will the buckpuck 1000mA with a 4AA batter holder be enough juice for the led and soundcard?

I figured it would but I still would like to know..

kthxbai :P

no seriously thanks in advance.

I would think with you only using the 1000ma puck you should ditch it. The board throws what 800-900 ma if driven off the led. I don't think anybody would notice that. I would use the puck only if you were to have two 700's.

But yea that should be ok battery wise.
    "The Dark Side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must seek power above all else, with no reservation or hesitation." ~Darth Revan~

Ok, thanks for that info...

Good thing I have all the tools for soldering :P

(step dad was a technician)

I had a lil soldering in car audio but i had a big freaking iron compared to what i use now. After learning more and more im actually pretty proud of my soldering ability. Real strong pre-tinned wires. I actually try to use less and less solder each time but not to sacrifice reliability.
    "The Dark Side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must seek power above all else, with no reservation or hesitation." ~Darth Revan~

You can't run the soundboard off the buckpuck. You are running both off the batteries (separately). You *could* run both at the same time with the buckpuck powering the LED and the soundboard just doing the sound using a relay switch but why bother? Just use the MR soundboard to drive the LED and the speaker. Who knows? Maybe you'll get a soundboard that puts out over 1200mA and you'll drive the red Lux III closer to its potential?

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13978.0

Quote Originally Posted by Mazarill Slay View Post
    I don't ask many questions and I did a few searches but I wanted to know two things.

I placed my order for my hilt supplies minus a few screws, but next pay check I will be ordering my electronics, screws and other various things. My question is this.

Right now my design is going to have a buckpuck 1000mA running a red Lux III, but later I am going to want strip down one of the force fx yoda's that I found cheap on craigslist for the sound card.. Will the buckpuck 1000mA with a 4AA batter holder be enough juice for the led and soundcard?

I figured it would but I still would like to know..

kthxbai :P

no seriously thanks in advance.

isn't a lux 3 red surpose to run off 1400?

That's the max. You can run it under and still get good results. But some MR boards can put out 1500mA. You just got to check.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilhelmet View Post
    isn't a lux 3 red surpose to run off 1400?

then i say run it 2 amps

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Diah View Post
    ...But some MR boards can put out 1500mA. You just got to check.
    Without modification... you've metered running MRs and found 1.5A coming from them?
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Not personally but Xsaber has and I trust him:

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13978.0

Lux3 Red & Red/O:
    With 3AA NIMH = 1510ma

Luke ANH MR board no modifications. He got 1980mA with modification (adding another AA).

He also tested MR Vader ESB and MR Mace boards and got over 1500mA with a red Lux III (no mods).

Check out these videos:
    http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=14036.0

For some reason, the blue Lux III with the same boards was being driven under 1A. I don't know why a red Lux III would be driven at 1500mA and a blue Lux III at 900mA from the same board. My natural instinct would think that the output should be the same regardless of what LED was hooked up but I don't know that much about electronics or what MR boards do. I guess the MR boards are not like buckpucks or CF that regulate current at a fixed setting (700mA/1000mA/1500mA). What Xsaber showed (and probably Erv knew this already) is that the more voltage you give an MR board (add another AA) the more current it puts out. CF (and a buckpuck) should only give the specified current (1000mA or whatever) regardless if you gave it 3.6V or 7.2V.

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Without modification... you've metered running MRs and found 1.5A coming from them?
    Last edited by Jedi-Diah; 10-17-2008 at 08:35 AM.