Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: UltraSound 2.0

Yeah those Hasboro speakers are pretty loud. I run one with an MR sound board and its better than the stock MR speakers or the speakers from the store.

The only thing is that its much bigger and won't fit in a standard MHS.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

How do you define better though? Louder isn't the best way to quantify that as it could include distortion or lack of certain frequencies.

I like the speakers I've pulled out of "singing" cards. They're about .5W and larger. They don't fit in MHS pieces but are good.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I would say the hasboro speakers have a slightly worse high frequency response than the store speakers. Maybe slight distortion, but I was testing it out in an enclosure that may not have been best for sound distribution.

They are no where as good as those titanium hi-fi speakers.

I don't want to help further de-rail the thread TOO much here, but... yeah, when talking about speakers... there is a *LOT* to figure in. You have:

* The speaker's size (which limits, to some degree, the bass)
    * Its dynamic range (this means what frequencies it "prefers" and also what happens when it has to play "many" frequencies at once)
    * The resonance chamber or cavity (if any)
    * Its power capability, and what kind of driving is going on (think of it like the difference between "direct driving" an LED vs. using current regulation... one is "dumb" the other, smart)
    * What sounds the speaker was intended for (if applicable)
    * What sounds the driver / sound device are primarily "throwing" at the speaker
    * Your very own ears! (everyone listens differently, just as some say LED X is best, while others say, no... LED Y is brighter)

In any case... you have a WORLD of hurt in trying to get a "one size fits all" kind of thing... although to some extent, you do your best for that by aiming for exactly what X-wing is talking about: broad + "good / better" dynamic RANGE.

Range here is the key word. Not so much volume, although... that is important too! Still, most speakers have a "sweet spot" with frequency responses, and you also have to remember that sound isn't very linear. In other words--your data sheet may say "blah, blah, blah" for frequency range X to Y... but in the REAL world under REAL playing conditions... sound is all over the map! Music... sound effects... it can be crazy stuff.

Voice is a bit different, along with saying "bass" is a bit different. They are more isolated. BUT... when you have sounds that run through a giant GAMUT of frequencies... it gets tough.

This is also primarily why everyone is going to "get different results"... sometimes even with the SAME speaker. Thing is... many of the other conditions often vary.

All I can say is... if you have a product that is COMPLETE, and you've set certain sound frequencies to be played specific to a purpose... having a speaker that is "fine-tuned" for those frequencies is a VERY good idea. As near as I've been able to figure, the MR speaker type was picked out for a very good reason. I can't confirm this, because (back in the day) when I spoke with sound dudes/dudettes from MR, they were either not allowed to say anything... or simply chose not to tell some joker phoning in with no true "relationship". I asked for a little info: they said no.

Anyway, if you have a product that is MEANT to be played/toyed with (aka DIY projects like USv1 and v2 or CFvWhatever)... it's usually better to get the "jack-of-many-frequencies" speaker. Now with USv2, I might say it's an exception since the sounds won't be configurable by the user... and then certain speakers for the certain sounds of each board could be FURTHER "pimped out" by choosing the specific speaker for the job. But it's really not THAT big of a deal as long as the speaker has a very nice dynamic RANGE.

*WHEW* Sorry for all that. It's just... ugh. Sound is... well, it's not as easy as it looks. Er... sounds. Whatever.
    Last edited by Novastar; 11-05-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the MR design + speaker
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband View Post
    How do you define better though? Louder isn't the best way to quantify that as it could include distortion or lack of certain frequencies.

I like the speakers I've pulled out of "singing" cards. They're about .5W and larger. They don't fit in MHS pieces but are good.
    well for me, i think theyre best, cuz with the us1 at least, its louder and CLEAR too. you just need to create that echo chamber so sound gets amped up so to speak, if done right, you get loud clear sound.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!