Thread: Questions from a new bloke

Default Questions from a new bloke

Hello, I've been looking at the site for few weeks now, and would really like to get started on my own lightsaber. Unfortunately I can't afford to make a start for a month or two (new baby on the way etc.).

I absolutely love the MHS system, and it looks like really good quality workmanship.

So I'm just planning and sketching at the moment. I have a few questions for now:

1. What are the postage rates to the UK (apologies if this is easily found elsewhere)

2. I really like the sound of the Ultrasound 2.0 board, do I need to be worried about not pre-ordering? Is the price likely to jump up a lot after? Is there very limited stock?

3. I'd like to build an RGB saber if possible. Can an Ultrasound board run an RGB LED? I was hoping to mix the colours using DIP switches, is this feasible?

4. Can the initial sounds (beep followed by some speech) on the Ultrasound be switched off? (No big deal if not, I'll install a mute switch. Which is probably wise with a baby on the way!).

5. I was wondering how the pieces of the MHS system align. Two of the parts I'm interested in make this an issue. For instance if I want blade holder 12 with a tapped hole in the side in line with the longest part of the chamfered tube, will this then line up with the switch hole in an pre-machined double threaded hilt? Or would I have to ask for them to be machined as a set to guarantee this? Apologies if this doesn't make sense.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Welcome to the forums Ringo!! Unfortunately I can only answer your last question: if you email Tim (Strydur) the owner of this fine establishment, he can assemble parts in your given order and he will line up holes. He is awesome like that. As far as sound, I can only tell you that the Ultrasound was $99 in the presale and is now like $120. (The presale ended last month). Someone else will be along soon enough to either answer your other questions or point you in the right direction. Have fun and good luck and congrats with the child and all your other endeavors.
    Alderaan shot first.

Regarding the RGB question... current is current is current is current. If the wiring is set up correctly and the DIP switches are fashioned right to cut power to certain colors and/or allow only so much through for each given a particular setting... there is no reason why the US board won't be able to give you a multiple color from an RGB.

Remember (for all those reading): it is no different that putting in a low-current RGB "indicator LED" in lieu of a "regular" LED somewhere in your saber. The board is essentially spitting out current from the LED leads, and you can use it to power most anything that takes DC. Uh, well as long as it can handle 700mA and upwards or whatever!

Regarding postage rates--that has to be figured on your own bro. You could simply figure in the shipping address of TCSS to your own and make a general "guess-timation".
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Thanks for the info. I'm also thinking of putting a vibrating motor in it too, it sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Default another question....

Does anyone know the thread spec on the standard TCSS switches?

I have found some lovely switches I'd like to use (including a locking toggle switch) but I'd like to use the TCSS switch bezel nut with them.

The thread on the switches I'm after are 1/4 x 40UNS.

Thanks again.

Or maybe a part number for the TCSS switches so I can do some detective work?

The standard black pushbutton switches (not the guarded ones) in the shop are made by a company called Judco, go google them, you'll find all the info you need.

Maverick

Thanks, that answered my question