Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally building my first LED saber.

Default Finally building my first LED saber.

Hey folks. I'm finally making my first LED saber. It will have an Ultrasound V2 and a Royal Blue LED. This saber isn't an MHS saber, It's an older saber I got some years ago, in the EL era of lightsabers (insert spooky sounds in the backround). So I'm converting this saber to LED.

I have a few questions.

I've combed the forums for a very long time, absorbing all the endless knowledge that is contained therein. Now, I need some opinions.

What LED type should I go with? Lux III? K2? P4 with a filter? Is a Lux V worth it?

I've noticed that the lens holders and maybe the lenses as well are out of stock. Where could I find them?

I need something to mount the speaker in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a speaker mount?

The inner diameter of this saber is about 1 1/8th inches. To my understanding, the AAA battery holder will fit, is that correct?

Every bit of info you guys can give me will help a lot. Thanks for listening guys

Maverick
    Last edited by MaverickJsmith; 10-07-2008 at 06:51 PM.

I would go with lux 5 cause a ultra v2 can handle the power. and how about a render of your saber.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

such a fast response! I accidentally hit enter and posted this too soon before I was done. And when I post, there's already a reply

Lux V huh? Hmm. I have an Ultra Anakin Ep III and at night I can barely see sometimes its so bright @_@ All I can see is the blade pretty much.

As for saber renders, I already have them. Just a matter of getting them up

Maverick

alright! anyways yes a lux 5 is worth it and I would go with a four aa or rechargble, but doesn't the people who made ultra board say that you shouldn't keep batteries in long because it slowly drains? I personly would go 4aa first and if you casn go rechargeable.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Well rechargable might be doable. I have a pommel being made by a certain someone that's a replica of the original pommel for this saber, one that can hold an MPS insert. So I could use the insert that will hold a recharge port and simply use it as a kill switch for when I'm not using the saber.

I don't know about the whole rechargeable thing. I don't know much about it. Plus I've never wired anything more complex than wire A goes to pad B. Plus I'd have to make a speaker mount that will allow the wires to go through it.

It gets more and more complex as it comes together @.@

Maverick

okay. and lenses are in stock

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sairon View Post
    alright! anyways yes a lux 5 is worth it and I would go with a four aa or rechargble, but doesn't the people who made ultra board say that you shouldn't keep batteries in long because it slowly drains? I personly would go 4aa first and if you casn go rechargeable.
    That's easily fixed with the recharge port and kill-switch.

I would have to differ in my opinion on LEDs: I prefer Seoul P4s. The brightness difference is marginal, but the power consumption is considerably less. A two pack of Li-Ion 14500s should be nice & small AND offer a respectable run time (roughly +/- 1.5 hrs, depending on frequency of use).

The hard part with converting EL to LED [IMHO] is fabricating a solid heatsink mount and getting the optics to play nice. If the inner diameter is only 1 1/8", it could also raise a few arse-pains. How long is the inside? How much space do you have to work with overall?

EDIT: doh you guys are quick. Maverick, the best way to be MORE comfortable with electronics and wiring - is to just do it!

Yes, you'll make mistakes, yes, you'll burn the crap outta yer fingies, and yes there's a possibility you might not be pleased with the result... but it's your first. Almost everyone that's made their own saber hilt isn't 100% pleased with their first...
    Last edited by eastern57; 10-07-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Ah okay. Gonna be tight then. Halloween is coming up

I'll work on some renders of my saber.

Maverick
    Last edited by MaverickJsmith; 10-07-2008 at 07:10 PM.

it also depends how bright you want it. if a lux three is bright then a p4 with a lee filter will be a bit lighter, a k2 more, and a lux 5 blasts them all away if you are using blue.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sairon View Post
    it also depends how bright you want it. if a lux three is bright then a p4 with a lee filter will be a bit lighter, a k2 more, and a lux 5 blasts them all away if you are using blue.
    I'm talking about the colored P4s - the white with filters doesn't really do it for me. But yes, LuxV blues are wicked bright