Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Inverter: Dangerous

Default Inverter: Dangerous

Look. Don't even read further if you are not going to be smart or safe with your experimenting. I won't be held responsible if you burn or electrocute yourself. With that word of caution, I did find a inverter for a lamp that may be used for higher voltage applications. It looks a fit for saber hilts. Maybe enough for a small plasma arc.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G16565

good price too!
    Last edited by swear000; 10-06-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: size

Upon adding a link to something so dangerous... you... might want to add some details about what exactly the point/benefit would be with this over:

* Using a non-high voltage setup (Luxeon LED @ 1A to 1.5A... or even a Seoul P7 @ 2.8A or >)
    * What kind of battery cells would be needed
    * How it would (or would not) work with current sound setups (MR, Ultrasound, CF, etc.)

I'm really confused as to how this would be beneficial--even in a plasma saber... would the danger be worth the board/setup??
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Default novastar

ok, the board can probably be run from a 9v battery simple enough. It would most likely not be used to drive an LED or sound. Besides, there are already many great options for doing that. I posted it in the new technology discussion since it is not something for typical sabers, rather it would be a platform for experimentation. Careful experimentation. From my understanding so far, it is essentially a driver for a Tesla coil. If I ever manage to get something useful from it, I will post my findings but it may take 5-10 years. I have lots of calculations to do as well as finding proper materials (i.e. ceramic disks).

I think what he's suggesting is that it can be used for those non LED saber projects like EL or Plasma sabers. You can also use it for Tesla coils and other high voltage effects for other non Lightsaber applications.

I have a terrifyingly attractive mental image of a saber hilt connected to a non-conductive rod connected to a steel ball with electrical arcs twixt hilt and ball.

I used to fix TVs for a living back in my younger days. I know the effects of high voltage. I've gotten fried before by the flyback. 1000 volts is nothing to laugh at. Burned a hole in my finger.

Default yup

yup. like I said dangerous. This one ain't for the kiddies.

i see in my head a steampunk jacobs ladder saber....
    yep, very dangerous

On a planet so far away that not even the Jedi, nor the Sith have ever discovered it.

i'm thinking of one of those orb things that had no air inside or some sort of gas like neon (i'm not thinking of a neon bulb saber or anything like that) but it the orb that gives off electricty from its center to the out side glass. if you are thinking what i'm thinking of then you get the idea.