Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Focus 4.x and beyond Bug list & Fix

Quote Originally Posted by erv View Post
    ...An override mode could be set though, like fixed duration for the ignition effect but with flicker. ... ... ...
    The best algorithm for this is the "drunk" one (ref to a max/msp object). You define a starting point and ending point and "walk drunk" : you'll end to the destination, but with various steps backward and forward.
    Exactly the way I was imagining it... that is... it doesn't have to PRECISELY match the flicker that the saber would behave as (during "hum" / non-motion)... but yes, if there *IS* flicker/glow present in a ramp on or off... it will likely blend better with a saber mode that is configured to produce these flickery features...

However... if the flicker/pulse was somehow more mild, the user could simply go for a more traditional smooth ramp... OR... we could have:

[power glow/flicker]

pwrgf = 0 ... ... traditional smooth ramping as in previous CFs...
    pwrgf = 1 ... ... subtle, yet "interesting" flickering ramp... "buzzed", heheh
    pwrgf = 2 ... ... volatile, very "wild" flickering ramp (possibly with a little glow)... "drunk as a skunk"

This way... for "violent" saber modes (such as for example Phoenix Pyre or Ancient)... setting #2 is good. The rest... you get the idea.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

ok folks, you'll be glad to hear that I've finished 4.2 in the train this morning.
    I implemented the flicker routine inside the power on section.
    It remains compatible with instant on, and it's taking the real settings of the flicker as specified in the configuration file, in terms of flicker rate and depth. As you might imagine, the pulse effect isn't coded there cause it's not natural to have the luxeon pulsing up and down *inside* the ramp up effect, but it will start pulsing as soon as the power on sound is finished (except if instant on is set to 1).

I programmed it as an "alteration" of the ramp up effect, just like flickering is finally programmed during the normal use of the saber. A random value is *removed* from the smooth ramp computed value, in real time. Result is that the light is still increasing in power and ramping in the tube but with time gaps, a little bit like a diesel cold start : you depress the throttle, the RMP increases but not in a very linear way, sometimes it randomly falls out.

I'll try to picture that if I can put my hand on a board !
    Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Sounds nice Erv` canīt wait to see it.
    You also included that lockup feature thingy ?

yes I did !
    testing the thing in a few moments, I have some free time this morning, and a bunch of CF to repair, so one of them will be the perfect candidate !
    Props Electronics

Thanks erv. I appreciate that you took your not existing free time for such a support.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Agash View Post
    Thanks erv. I appreciate that you took your not existing free time for such a support.
    lol,
    went to the bank and asked for a free time loan that I'll refund over 25 years thanks to 26 hour long virtual days

ok, everything works now ! Took me sometime to fine tune the ramp up routines, including the first ignition after power up for which target luxeon control is unknown. Now, whatever the way you start, you get flicker in the ramp up fx.
    If you want to stick to a clean and smooth ignition fx, just select no flicker in the configuration file, and you'll end with smooth ignition ending with a static blade.

So in a nutshell the flicker settings you selected in the configuration file are applied to the ignition fx, more or less (I mean, the fx is visible but more subtle, since the light continues to increase in power, so it's more difficult to see the brightness gaps generated by the flicker engine).

I also found a new bug : if destination current can't be obtained (low batteries / high Vf luxeon like a lux V) AND quick on is selected AND it's the first startup, the ignition fx engine isn't lauching the hum sound after the poweron sound is played (silly case isn't it ?).
    FIXED !

I'll try to make a demo of this tomorrow morning of this afternoon if I can speak to the camera (I have a BIG BIG cold)

Erv'
    Last edited by erv; 03-04-2009 at 05:45 AM.
    Props Electronics

Awesome Erv! I can't wait to see that "flicker within the ramp on/off"... I personally think that will add quite a fun touch.

And... holy heck--that is the *WEIRDEST*, most obscure CF bug ever. I can't imagine anyone running into that except YOU, heheh...

Good job "Bug Hunter" (hahahahah, from Prince LED)
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

fortunatly, I didn't need my carpenter hammer to fix this one

FYI (all) : I've updated the first page of this topic to keep the list of bugs & fixes.
    Props Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by erv View Post
    fortunatly, I didn't need my carpenter hammer to fix this one
    hahhahahahah (for those that didn't see Erv in action with his hammer... click. If you have seen "Prince LED"... don't bother, heheh)

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    hahhahahahah (for those that didn't see Erv in action with his hammer... click. If you have seen "Prince LED"... don't bother, heheh)

two things.......

I have the Prince LED song in my head agian...took two weeks to get it out before.....its like tribbles, that song.......

I laughed my head off when I saw Erv' debugging and when I thought of that agian, shortly before the song invasion, I laughed out loud.

Many thanks Novastar!

bd
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer
    Carolina Garrison- 501st Legion
    Blue Ridge Base- Rebel Legion
    BlackDOG across the SW forums galaxy......