Thread: Commision FX Sound Board Instalation

Question Commision FX Sound Board Instalation

Greetings all,

I have the possibility of getting a MR FX Yoda lightsaber for $55. The problem is, when I constructed my saber before, I went through both a Hasbro and MR FX Build-Your-Own lightsaber sound board, both of which I screwed up.

Is there anyone out there anyone can recommend that I can commission to install the sound board for me?

Any what would be the average cost for the commission to rewire my saber to include said board?

Thanks for the help,
    Boom

Unhappy Other options

Of course my other options are to either wait until I have the money for the UltraSound 2.0 board have commission that to be installed, or wait until I have more money (around $300) and just buy/commission a new saber all together that already has sound.

It may seem silly, but I just feel as if I am neglecting the saber I built, because it has no sound. And because I screwed up on some of the holes I made (the slide switch is crooked and my blade holder screws first hole didn't work out). It is just a sentimental thing because I put so much work into the danged thing and then to have it not have sound kind of sucks...
    Last edited by Boomsticksweets; 10-03-2008 at 04:16 PM.

you cant make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. dont give up

How did you screw up the first two boards? maybe we can help.

Unhappy

Well, I actually think I might have gone through two fx boards....

The one I remember the most was the Joe Jedi (616) board.

I tried to solder around the board's switch and ended up breaking said switch. Then in the cluster---k of trying to solder the leads I think I bridged some connections.

At one point I had it working momentarily, even going so far as figuring out that the sound screw-up was caused by low batteries. But by that point it was a little late for that. I tried installing it but something screwed up. Then I think is when I bridged connections and either; a)shot the board; b) gave up; or c)both.

I was rather upset about the whole sound issue and actually didn't play/mess with the saber for the last four months or so. Rather sad considering the time and money I spent on parts, tools, boards, etc, and how much fun I had with the MR FX sabers I had tried out (before returning them).

EDIT:
    I found the Joe Jedi 616 circuit board! I am including pictures to show where the messed up piece was. Lemme know if there is a way to save it!

Pictures one and two show the same side, while picture three shows the reverse.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lord Maul; 01-02-2009 at 11:22 AM.

You don't need the switch. I actually removed them on mine so I don't accidentally hit them.

Just wire your switch up the back in the third picture.

According to your picture you would wire up one wire to the bottom or top left. Then wire the other to the middle top or bottom. Problem fixed.

If you are really gun-shy about attempting the repair, try asking around Racine for an electronics hacker. In particular, a ham radio operator or someone that works for a company as a hardware engineer. I worked at Motorola many moons ago in Illinois and I knew several EE's and CE's that moved to Racine and Kenosha. Many of those folks were ham radio operators. Otherwise, I'm sure someone around here would help out.

616 boards are out of the MR built your own kit right?
    Last edited by Mersenne; 01-02-2009 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mersenne View Post
    616 boards are out of the MR built your own kit right?
    yeah, the way I think most people did it is to solder onto the two pins below the switch and just leave the switch alone, if you build a cradle into your saber and secure the board (which you should try to do) then you shouldn't have any problems.