Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shrink wrap on CF4 be careful!

Default Shrink wrap on CF4 be careful!

I had a distortion problem from a very loud CF4. The distortion was so bad that I think I blew my speaker, but not 100% sure. I accessed the pot by cutting away the shrink wrap (thanks to all you helpful members) to lower the volume. I noticed though that the pot was so sensitive sometimes it caused distortion and loss of volume. My guess is that the shrink wrap was causing pressure on the pot which caused the distortion intermittently. Now I leave the pot exposed. So far so good!

Don't shrinkwrap a CF!!!

This comes from Erv... somewhere in the posts.

It will heat up too much and damage the components.

MC

I lightly bubble wrap around my CF1, but only lightly!!! Be advised, heatshrinking it is like leaving a baby in the bath on it's own, with just a plastic bag to play with!!!

The troopercoms the 501st use can be shrunk, but NEVER the CF!!!!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Yup... try not to heatshrink cover CF. To some extent, you might be OK, but the entire concept to be aware of is that 1.5A is running around all in there in certain ways and at certain times. The heat needs to be able to escape. Much like the heatsink for the LED itself.

At the same time--well, if you're only setting CF to output 1A or 700mA... you might be ok. Not to mention if you only run it for a little while at a time (read: you turn CF on, glowing saber for 3-5 minutes... shut it off for a minute or so... do it again, etc.).

But yup--ultimately... don't completely mummify CF... just get it into a cradle to avoid shorts and so forth.

As it is--if the sides of the board touch the sink tube... you STILL aren't likely to witness a short--since that's just the SILICON touching, not so much the wires. Well... I hope. It depends on how you wired things up and how much you protected/shielded your solders!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Hmm.. I am the one who heat shrinked his card. I dont see why Ervs board would need to burn off a bunch of heat though. Anyone find where he says not to?
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I am pretty confident it was in response to the Spaghetti Monster. Although I can't recall exactly where he states it.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    I am pretty confident it was in response to the Spaghetti Monster. Although I can't recall exactly where he states it.
    Correct. The tape mess had stopped the board from being able to burn off any heat and had desoldered stuff.

It's a minimal risk though. Say if the CF is 90% efficient even running a V at 1A would be a bit less than 1W of power making heat.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    Hmm.. I am the one who heat shrinked his card. I dont see why Ervs board would need to burn off a bunch of heat though. Anyone find where he says not to?
    No fault of yours Tim. Just to clarify. My pot is so loose it could not have been the shrink wrap. Perhaps I fiddled with it a bit too much. Now I put some electrical tape around it, just to secure the pot. I also put some pink bubble wrap to secure the card. Thanks for all your help! I love this forum!

Just remember that anti static pink bubble wrap has an expiration date.
    Its treated with a chemical to stay anti static, but this wears out after some months. A year from production at the max. After expiration, it is just as bad as normal bubble wrap, when it comes to static discharge.

Having any "normal" bubble wrap moving around close to sensitive electronics, might cause problem, as the static buildup can knock out certain components very easily. Problem might not show up strait away, but might show up as unstable behavior.

Just a word of caution.
    CybKnight -
    For honor in gaming and beyond

Question

Quote Originally Posted by CybKnight View Post
    Just remember that anti static pink bubble wrap has an expiration date.
    Its treated with a chemical to stay anti static, but this wears out after some months. A year from production at the max. After expiration, it is just as bad as normal bubble wrap, when it comes to static discharge.

Having any "normal" bubble wrap moving around close to sensitive electronics, might cause problem, as the static buildup can knock out certain components very easily. Problem might not show up strait away, but might show up as unstable behavior.

Just a word of caution.
    Many thanks for info. Do you have an alternative solution for some card support?