Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Luxeon K2

Default Luxeon K2

I just recently heard of these Luxeon K2, which are supposably brighter and generates less heat, cant really find much informations on it and have no idea where to find retails that sells it, anyone have more information then I do plz share []

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

They are not for sale until around april of 2006. I have some samples on the way and will share info.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Thats what the ones I got look like. Needs some sort of mount for it. I still have not hooked them up to test them out yet.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

yeah from the looks of the pic of it, it may be a tricky deal to figure out a mounting. does it look like it will have to have an optics setup like the L 3's? looks like it doesnt, but tim would know more than me about it.

if it has the same type underside like the L3's do, then you should be able to use the plastic screws in a similar way to bolt it to the heatsink plate. maybe even a small plastic strap across it.

as far as the connectors, once you soldered the wires on you could use heatshrink tubing on them to insulate them from arking out on the heatsink plate. or just bend them up a bit so they dont touch.

i wish i had one then i could try and figure out something.

The K2's are in emitter form for the time being. You can mount them to an aluminum plate easily enough with any standard thermal epoxy, you'll just have to insulate the electrodes on the sides.

The K2 has the highest operating currents and highest core temperature ratings. Which means they will be brighter and require less heatsinking. What I like is that you can run 350ma to them and they will be brighter than a Star I and will require minimal, if any, heatsinking in emitter form.

With such a small form factor, we could start putting the LED's inside the base of the blades and start offering interchangable blades with mono jacks. Then people can buy just the hilt which contains the driver/sound/power pack and buy any color blade they want, just like EL.

Thats a cool idea Ultra.. Once they start selling these things I will look into making a holder that will fit inside the blade.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

If they're brighter, they will be more even across the blade right?

Mi Gon Jinn said he runs an LED on stepped up power and it's perfectly even throughout the whole blade. First of, what stepped up power, and second, does that mean EL will eventually become obsolete?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't think EL will ever become obsolete as long as it still is the only one that offers interchangable colors. If UltraSWG is right that the K2 might be made to fit inside the tube then it just might make EL be the silly option.[]