Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Bamboo saber

Default LED Bamboo saber

I was thinkin i really want to make a organic saber so i thout BAMBOO!! now this is a difficult 1.... what do u think i should make the bamboo hilt out of? cant use real bamboo so wat should i make it out of?

heres a piccy of wat ispired me http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/a...mboo-light.jpg
    --------------------------------------An You------------------------------------------
    Name: Drew/ An You
    Height:short :/
    Religeon: buddhist
    Preffered saber colour: purple (Prrrpll YUM!lol)
    Favorite alien species: Twi'lek (Oh, yes. Wormheads. Twin tendrils off head. Females much yum-yum!) "ROFLcopters"

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Thats pretty cool, bamboo is pretty resilient stuff (trust me I know) and properly heatsinked shouldnt give you a problem. Or if you want it made out of metal, you'd need access to a lathe and some solid stock 1.5" t6061. That or email tim and see what he would charge.

why couldnt you use real bamboo?

Red face fiddly stuff

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    why couldnt you use real bamboo?
    i dunno, bamboo splits easily, i want one that i could fight with.
    and getting a metal pipe into the middle sounds a bit tricky
    --------------------------------------An You------------------------------------------
    Favorite alien species: Twi'lek (Oh, yes. Wormheads. Twin tendrils off head. Females much yum-yum!) "ROFLcopters"

hmm I was never under the impression bamboo splits easy.. I thought after a while it was very strong/tough...

you could also get a coating over it as a protectent as well..but whatever..

I have a digeridoo made from bamboo that's been varnished and it's plenty strong. Bamboo has also been used in the east for scafolding poles so I think it's fair to say that it's tough enough.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

If I remember right mnay buildings are still made with bamboo that have been up for over 50 years.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Well there ya go then, and if it has an inner sleeve to hold the electronics it's probably going to be just as strong as a PVC saber.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Bamboo comes in different varieties. If you get the ones that are thick enough it will work just fine. They use it for cups. You just need to order the right diameter.