Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan TPM inspired MHS saber

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I just wanted to post a quick update on this saber.

The good news is that I have the proper Schrader valve adapters, and won't have to use the one I hacked. It wasn't bad, but the proper one is better.

The bad news is that when I was cutting out the windows in the emitter shroud, my dremmel decided to jump out of the groove I was cutting, and do a little dance across the face of the shroud.

I wasn't planning to go to the expense right now of getting the ring made for the end of the emitter, but I guess I'm going to have to now. I figure that if I file the gouge out to make it look like an intentional groove, and do the same to the other two vanes, then slide a ring up almost to those grooves, it might look OK.

The other option is to take this saber in a different direction. I have some brass tubing of the same diameter as the aluminum. I also have some copper that will fit where the black grips are. I could make the same basic design, but have it be a sort of Steampunk-Obi saber. I don't know. Maybe that wouldn't be so great.

Obi, what size tap are you using to mount those 3 domed led housings?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I'm pretty sure it's a metric thread. M6 x 0.5mm

How's this going, Obi?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Honestly, it's going slowly. I work on it in fits and starts. Life's been kind of weird lately, and I just can't seem to get my heart into it.

I have the main handle shroud cut out. Just a little shaping with the jeweler's files to finish it. I have the inner grip material cut to length, but I still have to break out the graph paper and do the slots. I got the pommel painted, but I have to re-do it. I painted it outside, and left it in the sun to dry. It looks like a bug landed on it and did a little jig in the wet paint. A light sanding, then another coat of paint should take care of it.

That's about as far as I've got with it. I still need to drill and tap the holes for all the greebles on the emitter. I'll post pictures soon.

Sounds like you're moving along. Better not to rush through a project. Sometimes those "other things" in life allow for more time to think than act which usually ends up producing better results. Always interested in sabers like the TPM Obi type.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Ya Mon, take all the time you need because that is gonna be a keeper!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Update pics!

Not much to say. I'm still working on the slotted grip section. The switch will be nearly invisible when it's done. I should have pictures up in a few days. After that, a little paint and polish, and I'll call it done.

The holes for the LED housings go right through into the blade holder, so they light up with the blade. It looks pretty cool.

Looking back, I should have had Tim cut a couple extra grooves in the blade holder. I may yet do it. It would be cheaper to just to order a new one than pay shipping both ways to mod this one.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

ODKG, it is looking awesome! You have excellent skills and i can't wait to see it finished!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's going to be real nice, when it's finished. Something to be proud of.

And I see you fixed your gouge by adding a new "design element".
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!