Thread: Durability

Default Durability

First allow me to say hello.. hello!

I've been collecting FX sabers for a while and have been wanting to construct my own saber for dueling for a while, but simply don't have the time to build it from scratch, have yet to see a fan-made saber that really catches my fancy and simply don't have the funds to have a completly custom saber constructed so the fantastic MHS clearly benefits me.

However, one thing I am concerned with is the durability of the hilt, and hoping you guys can help me here.

Firstly in regards to the kenobi/luke ROTJ style emitter; I really like this style, but clearly they're far shorter than the other emitters and the choke point on them means they must be weaker compared to the other chunkier emitters. Since this is going to take the brunt of the stress created by the blade, how are these emitters holding up? Are they quite capable of withstanding regular dueling, or would you sugget them only for display pieces?

With that choke point in mind, does adding a second choke extension further de-crease the durability or again are they quite capable of taking the stresses on the thinner material?

And finaly, how do the MHS joints hold up to the durability test? For a hilt thats likely to be used for dueling, is it smarter to go with as little segments as possible (i.e. one of the 4 hilts, a pommel and emitter) or, would you suggest welding or bridging the joints or maybe even using a single sleeve inside the whole piece similar to the FX construction kit? Or is a hilt with multiple joined segments quite capable of taking a beating without needing to strengthen it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning the worksmanship or quality here at all! I'm just trying to guage what options I have and how creative I can be without sacrifcing the durability

All of the Mhs pieces have a minimum Thickness that is both durable and allows the most room inside while not being too big on the outside. The only piece that is questionable is a gender changer found in the store. I don't think dueling force would be enough to break an aluminum hilt anyhow. The blade would break far sooner than the hilt, but even that is rare.
    Alderaan shot first.

I believe the parts are made out of 6061 aluminum.. which is quote strong.

Not to mention there is a member her Novastar who does choreographed battles, and he doesnt joke around.. thousands of hits.. (plus)..

I wouldnt think you need to worry abotu the strength of the MHS parts..

maybe if you were using a double male joint/adaptor.... but that would be it...

again.. I wouldnt think twice.. but thats my opinion..

Thats what I was hoping to hear

However, isn't the male adapter somewhat important in connecting most of the pieces? Just about all the extensions seem to be double female, so surely most combinations would require atleast one of these?

I was looking at trying to keep the overal length to around 15" (roughly the size of the luke ANH FX) and if the saber builder is accurate on sizes, it seemed the best combinations of parts general used atleast two extension segments so I'm obviously going to need the male connectors ... and if I decide to go with a choker as well, I'm gonna need two.
    Last edited by vampiric_hoshi; 09-18-2008 at 02:20 AM.

I'm pretty sure the double male connector should be fine. But as Phiily said the gender changer could be a little weak. Especially if you have it high on your hilt.

Just so I'm clear, the gender changer and male connector are the same thing, right?

If its smart to try to avoid using this near the blade, then I guess that somewhat rules out a choker extension connected to the emitter since from my understanding, you'd need the male connector to connect the choker extension to the rest of the hilt.

The chokes all have male on one side and female on the other, so the emitter fits in the female side and the male side attaches to the double female base hilt.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_hoshi View Post
    Just so I'm clear, the gender changer and male connector are the same thing, right?

If its smart to try to avoid using this near the blade, then I guess that somewhat rules out a choker extension connected to the emitter since from my understanding, you'd need the male connector to connect the choker extension to the rest of the hilt.

not that same thing.. and my mistake the gender changer is what I was thinking in my head.... not the double male adaptor..

also look at the parts in the store:

www.thecustomsabershop.com

just looking you will answer many of your own questions..

also, www.saberbuilder.com will let you know as well.. (turn on the Thread hints option) to see what has male or female threadings..