Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to the MHS builder, any suggestion on building?

LED will give you no black spots if your worried about that..

As for the rest its a cool saber. I could see the choke extension being weak because you have a long blade holder already..

Though I am no pro.. I myself am building my first saber so I can be wrong.. This is just what people have told me and I have read

Exclamation

Luxeon LED's in the store are WAY better then EL for many reasons, they are VERY good for dueling (Just ask Novastar )

They are VERY bright (They own EL in brightness)

There are NO electronics in the blade, its just light in a tub so their is NO CHANCE of breaking anything bar the blade

You have many choices in colors which are also very bright.

You also have the Crystal Focus with Luxeon tech

ANd loads more stuff which I'm to tired to remeber lol

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

hmmm, that's interesting.

I have a few of the MR Force FX sabers which i believe to be the string LED type blades that xl97 had mentioned, and those blades do aquire quite a lot dead spots from dueling. I may be way off, but from what I read on a few sites was that the EL blade, although a string, is encased in a polycarbonite shell, which keeps the string from collecting any dead spots. Anywho.. that's good information i will need to take into consideration now. Any other experiences with particular blades or information that might be helpful?

LED is all you need to know..LOL

EL is exactly that a wire run the length of a tube.. it is a physical part and hence can be damaged when dualing.

LED is a super bright light (LED) that is shined up the (polyc) tube.. and has no physical properties inside.. (unless you count the wraps peopel pu tinside to make a core'ing look or for eveness...

STING LED same problems..physical parts that can be dammaged when 'whacked'

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Quote Originally Posted by Malaki Skywalker View Post
    light in a tub
    ?? XD

The morral of this story, uhm... thread:

Go for LED, forget that EL even exists when it comes to lightsaber blades.

Malaki- thanks for that direction, i did a little investigation work on the luxeon blade as well as the Crystal Focus. There are a lot of great features with those boards.

Hasid- good point on that thread. There's plenty of good info in there, and should have ready there all of those first.

I think now with all of your info, the LED Luxeon blade is the right way to go for what i'm looking to accomplish. Hahaha

I've made a few adjustments to the saber, I'll attach a new picture to update. most of the same pieces, just better suited this time around.

As for the rest, The LED quick connector and saber break for easy color changing is the route i think i'll be taking. If you have any suggestion for where the best place for that would be on this lil guy, let me know, but basically it looks to be just below the Emitter is the opportune position. The hilt electronics and batteries all seem to be pretty simple like you've all mentioned. Especially with the Crystal Focus core (although may be out of my skill/price range on this saber)

Thanks again to everyone for all the great input!

forgot to add the attachment.

revised layout:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default layout

interesting layout. I personally would either just go with a shroud or just the emitter. They don't look right together for some reason. just my 2 cents.

LED strings get dark spots. EL may get damaged, at which point it goes out. LED is near indestructible. The worst that could happen is A.) you fry your LED because you applied wrong electrical values or had a short circuit, or B.) You get a loose connection.

As for EL internals being simple: LED has it beat. Battery+resistor/puck/driver+switch+LED = saber electronics. No insanely tiny wires to strip or risk breaking. All you need for LED is a soldering iron, the pencil kind.