Thread: Build question

Default Build question

I'm not sure these parts will all work. I was using the saberbuilder.com to play with some ideas visually that I had sketched out. I need to know if i use a screw on LED blade holder style 1 on top of a MHS choke style 1 short will there be enough room inside the choke section for the heat sink and wiring to go through? I'd like it to just be the holder, choke section, and hilt, no additional sections if possible.

This is a rough idea for the majority of it. I will do it slightly different but this gives you an idea.

yes, there's no need for a hilt extension directly behind the blade holder, the heat sinks will sit nicely in the choke section.

Yep, I believe the heat sink and wires should fit just fine. The pieces are designed to have the optics and LED fit within the threads and the heat sink a little under that.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Yes, that will work fine. The choke is designed just for that purpose. The heat sink will sit down in it perfectly.

One tip I would give you is to put a quick disconnect in there, so you can feed the wires through the choke, then screw it on, then snap the LED in. Makes things a whole lot easier, and also gives you the option to swap LEDs.

Default thanks

Ok cool thanks, the more i was looking at the parts i kept thinking, "man it's going to be a tight fit or it's not going to work." That's always my luck. I figured worst case a custom part with an extra 1/2" would fix it if it was a problem though.

Oh and thanks for reminding me of that quick disconnect, I didn't do that on my first saber and sorta regret it. Although that saber was a learning project for me, that's why i'm wanting to make another.

You probably noticed I'll be cutting a sink tube as well around parts of this new one, that's a new thing to me also. After it's cut do you do anything to it for the coloring of the edges that were cut and smoothed out? I would think you'd end up having a silver tube with a copper edge where the cut is. Just curious.

One last thing, I'm wanting to add more pieces on top of what you see. I'm thinking of cutting some curved plates and using a type of industrial adhesive to attach it. Problem is if I do this I'm wanting it black or a different color than silver. Is there a type of paint I could use or type of material you think would work. I want something very thin. Thanks again for the help.

cut some part 'patterns' out of sink tube and paint it or have it powder coated.

and I guess I dont know what to do about the 'edges' when you cut a sink tube as you are correct, the edges are brass colored

Default color

yeah the brass coloring isn't a huge deal, i considered actually just powder coating everything that i have as black instead to a copper color. I like this look of a saber though more for a sith style than a jedi style however.