Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 890 Lumin LED? Question

11v couldn't run that on a CF or USv2!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband View Post
    Yeah... so? Why is anyone suprised? If you want a multi-die honking LED go ahead. Be prepared to deal with loads of heat and high voltage requirements.

Anyone notice:
    A) the emitter is 1/2"? HUGE
    B) Optic aren't going to be available... USELESS
    C) They can't multiply! 12V x 900mA is NOT 15W!

I want to shoot the next poster who brings up another multi die LED... "OMGZ _____ lumens!"
    xwingband,
    A) LUX 5 is 9/16" wide with led contacts bent to attach to star
    B) could possibly use K2 optics and lens holder, ultrasabers uses just a flash light reflector to hold the star onto the heatsink, took my DIY apart to replace the LUX III to P4 and found that out, lots of thermal paste to wipe off and reapply to base of P4 star.
    C) correct 12V x 900ma = 10.8 watts or 12v x 1 amp = 12 watts

this is a single die LED

what if a buckpuck is used for the voltage increase, it will provide the required voltage and amperage.
    Last edited by Kal El Rah; 09-14-2008 at 03:00 PM.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Do-Clo View Post
    That led comes from DealExtreme, I have looked at it before but the lack of optics makes it not practical to use in a saber. If some one wants to try one I would say go for it.

I would not worry about Xwing, but you should worry about a sith lord.

Thank You Master Do-Clo

I was just asking a question, that's all.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kal El Rah View Post
    xwingband,
    B) could possibly use K2 optics and lens holder, ultrasabers uses just a flash light reflector to hold the star onto the heatsink, took my DIY apart to replace the LUX III to P4 and found that out, lots of thermal paste to wipe off and reapply to base of P4 star.

this is a single die LED

what if a buckpuck is used for the voltage increase, it will provide the required voltage and amperage.
    A) I'm aware of the size and I was talking about the emitter alone, not with the tabs. Tabs can be trimmed.
    B) No you couldn't... the dome itself is much larger than a K2. Nor is it designed for that. When you start using optics meant for something else you can throw out any reliability. Like when I first tried Rebels I tried normal optics and they sucked... the difference was about 2mm of height vs. proper ones. The wrong optics can suck and if you attempt to mod any existing ones you are really gambling.

It is not a single die LED... just look at the pic. You can see three dies clearly and I think that's a fourth on the right. Any company can make a big powerful LED that way by stuffing a bunch of dies under one dome.

Understand I'm not really angry or anything. I just get tired of seeing these LEDs like they're some kind of magical bullet to get a brighter saber. If you step back and evaluate the LEDs fully you'd have to give up loads for a lumen increase that isn't going to help too much.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Thank You xwing for understanding, as I stated it was just a question that I needed an answer to.

Again I apologize.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Feel free to try it because experimenting is what makes things happen,however I have to agree with xwing on this one man it is kind of impossible due to optics,and not only that as he said the "heat" huge heat sink.

Imagine the the voltage" would become quite expensive.. And say everything does end up working out with optic's and such.. theres still one problem

i've tested high power leds with "filtering" and when the led is too bright it washes out the filtered color, so many dont work or change alot in color, if your using it just for a white/silver lightsaber then yeah it would be cool,but probly not worth it. if you want to try something thaaat bright try the seoul p7,im sure that would have optic's.either way good luck

Go ahead and try it, just cause people say that might not work dosent mean that it wont work.

Best way to find out is to try.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

There are only two ways to learn: Experience & Enlightenment.

This is not to say that a MIXTURE of the two can be used in any case. Come to think of it--I'd like to say that is pretty much how I do most all of my learning: via BOTH styles.

Granted, there IS a point when trusting PREVIOUSLY experienced folks whom you know/respect/have proven their intelligence on a subject via many ways (read: X-Wing, Do-Clo, Erv, Strydur, etc.)... ... leads to enlightenment being preferable over "re-inventing the wheel" and going for experience.

Still... there is nothing like putting your hand on a hot stove burner to tell yourself: "OH ^@%^^%#!!!! AAAAAAA!!!!!! Well... whew... I'm never doing THAT again..." [Experience = STRONG memory]

And then we have the whole "Ok Johnny, mommy says that is HOT... do NOT touch! Do you understand? Don't ever touch it, or you'll get hurt and mommy will be very sad."... [Enlightenment = CURIOUS memory]

Sorry for the esoteric rant, gentlemen.

(P.S. oops, ladies too. I forgot J-Lo. Hey... is J-Lo pretty much the ONLY female aboard these threads?!?!? Other than SaberGirl of course, duh.)
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Kal El Rah View Post
    xwingband,

this is a single die LED

Alot of LED Manufacturers define Watts in terms of the OUTPUT of the LED, not the INPUT. So while at most 12 watts may be the input. They are using a LUMINS per watt formula based on some chart. In this case the efficiency of 59.3 lumins/watt or 890/15.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
    Alot of LED Manufacturers define Watts in terms of the OUTPUT of the LED, not the INPUT. So while at most 12 watts may be the input. They are using a LUMINS per watt formula based on some chart. In this case the efficiency of 59.3 lumins/watt or 890/15.
    NOOO, Dang how many time do I have to say it! Flashlight manufacturers do not use a watt to indicate an output!

They simply can't multiply and use creative rounding to market their LEDs. See here's the same dang LED sold as a 20W LED: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5848 It's some cheap Chinese LED that they label creatively to sell.

You can't keep claiming a watt as an output either. Claiming a watt as an output would make efficiency a watt per watt... which is a unitless number! WTH!

EDIT: Do you also realize if what you stated were true that they are claiming 15W as an output and the math tells us 12W as the input... that LED would be outputting more than it was getting in defying physics!
    Last edited by xwingband; 10-11-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    RED LEADER Standing by!