Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: A complete n00b intro?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LDS_Trooper

Could some of you more experienced saber builders discuss the design process? How do you get from "I wanna build a saber" to "Swing this around buddy.. cool huh?"<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This should be another thread...
    But I think I know what you're thinking.

Something like... Getting this idea I have onto paper and into my hands.

This is what ultimately defines a good saber crafter and an excellent one. This is the step that you must try to acquire the skills on your own. But a basic “Tricks of the Trade” topic would be a good stepping stone to learning on your own.

Stripped down basic stuff that some of us take for granted. Similar to my "Basics of Painting" thread.

Edit:
    My advice would be to go to the hardware store and look around. Look for stuff that is similar to what you are thinking, and you may find other ideas too. Buy some items (get duplicates if you can) and take them home and tinker. Before you know it you will have a saber unique and yours.

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

See thats the problem... it's not a 1, 2, 3, do that and you have a rockin' saber process. It's look at what was built and get your ideas. Maybe a material you saw sparks your interest or like Firebird suggests a hardware part that just seems cool.

I said this once to someone else... We can't give everything to you. Then you are merely an assembler of the parts and particularly in newbies it turns out to a flawed view. You repeat a process and probably don't understand why, and you're only doing it because we told you to.

When people come here for design help it's usually: "Here's what I have: ... how can I get it this way?" Then maybe 5 give our 5 ways of approaching/solving the block in the design and you pick the way that works for you.

I believe from that same topic I said: If you make space for batteries, a switch, and the blade holder you should be fine.

[]

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?

Want to roleplay in the SW universe? Visit:
    </center>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

See thats the problem... Bla bla bla...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just to prove that we are on the same page, or at least the same book, that's just alot of words to say "This is the step that you must try to acquire the skills on your own." from my post.

Thanks for expanding on that point.

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ

Excellent advice guys.. but to clarify, I'm not looking to be spoon fed. After re-reading my post I can see how you came to that conclusion though.

Its more along the lines of, I have an idea.. I can draw it but how do I go beyond that... I guess the best advice is "Take the drawing to the store find pieces that look similar and tinker" and this is great advice.

Its a bit like chainmaille.. You can study the pattern all you want... it won't make sense till you try it on the pliers.

Sometimes, we/I need a little boot to the head that says.. "try it and see, I used this part but you should try and see" That way I get an idea of what I am looking for when I go that forbidden area of the store... y'know where they sell tools and screws and stuff...

"Do you know how to use one of these?"
    "Yes. The pointy end goes into the other man."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, I guess that's the point where you post the pic in either misc or the appropriate EL or LED hilt forum and say, "What do I need to make that?" (and point out the troublesome part)

We then, like I said, all give our ideas and you pick what works for you in materials and skill level. Like we may conclude that you'd need to have it done on a lathe. That may be too much so a design adjustment might be in order.

</center>

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Its a bit like chainmaille.. You can study the pattern all you want... it won't make sense till you try it on the pliers.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree with you here. It just doesnt make sense until you get the first few links together and then you do it in your sleep. I have been very slowly working on a shirt made out of 3/16 stainless steel rings..very tight pattern. I might be done in about the year 2020.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../HPIM1409a.jpg
    This is a PVC Saber by JediDad... How could I modify its design for an EL Blade?

woah... sorry.. I didn't know the image was that large... say the word and I'll take it out.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, just put a link and it would have been best to create a new topic... oh well. I like the design it's like the CAT lightsaber.[]

You're going to need to do it like that parkssaber. If the center isn't hollow it will need to be. The mono pulg would go right where the neck narrows. Then the wires snake to the large bottom section. This will house the inverter and battery. The switch I think should be on the side of the clamp a la Luke's ROTJ saber.

</center>

wow, jediDad has done good. but I doubt you have enough space for the electronics in that one. Is there a hole in the emitter? 3/4 in diameter? You may be able to fit an inverter and a battery if that handle section is hollow, but I'd say forget about sound. Hmmmm, unless you could get some MR guts and make it an LED instead of EL.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.