Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A complete n00b intro?

Definitely a Great Idea!!![8D]

May the Force
    Be with You

Marc E.

I wouldnt count on it cutting down the amount of questions, but it gives ya' a good "all in one for newbs" link to give them when they ask.

If they are anything like me, they like to be pointed RIGHT where they need to be without too much time researching LOL

yep, i think its a good idea too. have that on main page as well. make the link, saying maybe something like, important information for new visitors, please read, or something like that. lol

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

I think that's an excellent idea! Xwing, you really are sharp and creative! I've noticed how you've kind of started to evolve into a kind, considerate mentor for this site. Your patience with the noobs is proof positive. Your barbs are falling off. Tim must be really thankful to have you!

I think that the intro would be great. I think it will also help "suck in" some people who used to think that their MR saber was so great. I know that the first time I saw an LED saber on ebay, I thought "my MR saber is nothing!" "This is the baddest thing I've ever seen!" I emailed the seller and he mentioned this site. So here I am. I'm hoping this site will become the SUPREME POWER in homemade sabers.

An intro would help out alot of people. I have always had folks asking me how did I make PVC sabers and asst. blasters from wood, PVC and anything I could think of. One of two things seems to always happen: The lightbulb goes on and they totally understand what I saying or they have the "deer in headlights look" about half way through and I know they are going to either ask if I can make them one or their going to forget about it.

I agree that if good basic information is layed out in one spot it would help.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

That would likely bet the next best segment on the page your making
    we have links to all the major subjects that get introduced
    i suppose in the noob thread you could add in segments like
    soldering, electronics basics, and such a few things to get them over the hump of how in the ruddy (#$*%&) do you attatch a wire to a circuit borad? and similar questions
    Grand idea altogether, and as sabergirl mentioned it gives us a link to which we can reference them
    Tim, any chance it could be made forum id number 1?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, it sounds like this would be a great idea. It'll be next on my to-do list.[] I think this will be an EPIC under taking though. I can only hope it gets sold on ebay someday.[]

It seems there are many ideas of what it should contain... I was thinking somewhat of a history lesson, but it seems an absolute basics tutorial hits a chord too. Maybe pics of soldering and tube cutting... I don't know. Give suggestions please.[]

Like SaberGirl said sometimes we lose touch with what it's like to not know about this. To us it's solder this and that, slap blade on and WOO[:0] Saber!

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

All I can say X-wing is great idea, and
    May the force be with you, master[]

If you need any help as far as the tutorials, pictures, etc. I'll be happy to throw a little time in. I would be more than happy for my wife and I to get some pics of basic soldering, pipe cutting with various tools, whatever, just let me know.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Honestly, I was thinking of doing something like this, too. Mostly becuase I've just now gone past the "total n00b" stage. Before I came around here, I'd never soldered, never tapped, and didn't even know how.

I'm still learning myself, but I'd love to help in any way I can.

Tip for the moment:
    Safety goggles at Lowe's are less than $5.
    Eye surgery to have shards of metal removed from your eyes are more than $5. Much more.