Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A complete n00b intro?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default A complete n00b intro?

Does anyone think a complete intro to what we do would be of any use?

I mean a "I've never touched a tool or electronics in my life but this is some cool stuff" kind of person. A intro to how we got up to this point and how we did it kind of thing. A saber building primer I guess.

I don't know if this would be of use or just a waste of time. I was just idly thinking of this while driving that some might want a different description other than the "this is what we use" type of description that the EL/LED topic is doing.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

I don't know if this would be of use or just a waste of time. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Do you remember yesterday? lol

Personaly, I skip right over those (check in here)threads... But I'm a anyways.

Thread Index
    FAQ

Thats the type of thing that I have been discussing with Tim. So he added a little snippit like that on the main page of the store...

When Tim started this whole thing, for him to say 'Hey, they have this cool electroluminescent wire that lights up and I can make a saber with it, all i have to do is take a little of this, solder this and that, and wire this to here!' The first thing I remember thinking is 'whatever it is that you are taking, I'd like some'
    I'd never heard of this, or even had an idea it existed.. lol.

xwing, for sure, if you wanna make a complete noobie intro, that would be fantastic!! We really appreciate everything you do on the boards here, keep up the great work, and remember to be nice to the noobies

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's exactly what I'm going for. Half the time people don't know this type of tech exists and what we use it for is only a tiny segment of the real life uses of it. I bet until people saw MR FX's they would have never even looked this kind of stuff up.

The first time I saw a Luxeon LED outside of a saber was this year... in a lamp an architecture student had made. lol

I'll keep this in mind. I think I'll be done with the index this week. I'll probably go back and read the places that this got started so I can get the facts right. Even years later I get excited reading Corbin's thread and the "new lighting strat" thread at ASAP.[]

<center>

Yes, a noob intro would be great. It's taken me like four months to learn all this crazy stuff. (of course, now I'm a knight because of it, so I guess that's alright. [])

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Nightwing

Yes, a noob intro would be great. It's taken me like four months to learn all this crazy stuff. (of course, now I'm a knight because of it, so I guess that's alright. [])
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Only took me 2 weeks...
    lol

Thread Index
    FAQ

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

To gain all the knowledge or posts.[]

<center>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

To gain all the knowledge or posts.[]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There's a difference? [?]

Thread Index
    FAQ

I was sneaking around here for months before my first post I then I just went nuts from there. I think it was about two weeks when I hit knight too.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

I'd say it's a good idea:
    1) because it would cut down on the NOOB questions.
    2) it would give the newcommers a good idea of what happens around here and why.
    3) it would likely encourage a number of those new people to order from the store (which is the goal right?? [])

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.