Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So Confused!

Exclamation So Confused!

New to making my own saber but when I met the guys at NY Jedi and saw what they had done, it inspired me to try.
    So... I come on here and start to read. I read and read and the more I read and the more I look... The more confused I get.
    I want a yellow bright blade.
    Now... What things do I need to accomplish this with the EL system? I can solder things but when it comes down to X, Y, Z to do this... I am completely baffled.
    So. What I ask of you who have done it so many times... What do I need for a bright yellow blade.
    AND... Just how hard is it to add sound?
    Thank you in advance.

Wink

Don't bother with EL. Read ALL of this

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=2025

And to add sound, just check out Saber Sound and Cutaway views and wiring schematics

Hope this helps

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I've got an awesome yellow blade. Your best bet is to get the Lux III kit from the store and choose the white Seoul P4 as the color option. The put a yellow filter in it.

Read this thread:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=5732

I posted a throng of pictures there, and a link to get a set of Lee filters.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

You can do a nice EL yellow blade (link-->http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Co...ade--P209.aspx) Most of us like LED sabers better for a number of reasons, but you can build a very nice EL saber if you choose, and yes, it can have sound too! (Linky-->http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...t=sound+switch) this link will also show what electronics you need to buy!
    Last edited by Lord Dottore Matto; 09-06-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Thumbs up Awesome!!

Well, I do want this one for combat as well. Heard the LED ones don't do the combat.

Also... you all are awesome for responding so fast!

Haven't read through them all yet but wanted to thank you for helping a poor gal out.

Thumbs up Also...

How do you secure everything inside the saber?

Is it worth it to mess around with the sound?

I do like the idea of being able to have a white saber that is changed with color though. That's pretty nice.

Do you mind if I keep asking questions here as I figure all of this out?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by XozFisto View Post
    Heard the LED ones don't do the combat.
    The thick walled LED blades sold here are almost indestructible, and will stand up to just about anything you can throw at them. Ask Novastar about this. In the course of producing his Balance of Power shows, he whacked his sabers together thousands of times, and they stood up to it.

How do you secure everything inside the saber?
    Some people just shove everything in there, and the fact that it is a tight fit just holds it all from moving around. Others make a sled or carriage out of some non-conductive material and use hot glue to hold the components in place. Then they slide the whole assembly into the saber. Personally, I have some plastic sleeves that came from an old golf bag that fit perfectly into the MHS hilts.

Is it worth it to mess around with the sound?
    Short answer: yes. It's much more fun to swing your saber around and have it sound like "the real thing". However, if this is your first saber, and you haven't got a lot of electronics experience, I recommend that you concentrate on getting it together and lit up for now. You can always add sound later as your skills increase. In the mean time, read as much as you can about the different sound options available.

I do like the idea of being able to have a white saber that is changed with color though. That's pretty nice.
    It's nice to have options, but if you read through that thread that I posted, you'll see that your choices are limited. Yellow, amber, sky blue and pink, are good, but you can't get a good red, green, purple or blue with filters.

Do you mind if I keep asking questions here as I figure all of this out?
    No problem, but if you look around, most of your questions will have been asked and answered already. Read as much as you can, but if you get stuck, feel free to ask.

What are you looking for in your saber?

Are you looking for something that you can use to duel with other people or are you looking for something that just looks cool?

EL blades are heavier than LED blades. LED blades are just polycarbonate with an extremely lightweight diffuser material. EL blades have the polycarbonate, diffuser material (which is heavier than LED), and 10-17 feet of EL wire. It all makes for a heavier blade. Keep in mind that in so far as the movies, the blade is weightless. LED will achieve this far better than EL.

If looks are all that matters, then EL will give you the uniform/even color that the films suggest. However, the blades are much heavier and far more prone to damage than LED blades.

Polycarbonate probably won't break unless you try to break it. The only thing I'm trying to impress upon you is that EL baldes are heavier and much more labor intensive than EL.

Also, as a person who has constructed both EL and LED sabers, I have found that the LED effect shows up much better in person than in most of the photos in this site have captured. The EL photos are as advertised. In my opinion, EL photographs better than LED, but LED is still very impressive in person.

As far as sound goes, it depends upon your resources and experience with electronics. There are diagrams in this site under the heading "SABER SOUND" that will guide you through the wiring diagrams of the various saber sound cards (be it Master Replicas or Hasbro). If you've ever soldered a connection before, then you're golden. If not, it's not rocket science. It's not complicated. Just use shrink wrap or electrical tape (if you don't know what I mean, keep surfing the site and you will).

Keep asking questions if you need to. Most people here are exceptionally helpfull.

B.
    Last edited by felix142; 09-07-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Smile

Okay... I was thinking of LED as the ones that are like the Master Replica ones. But the LED ones here are the ones I want!

So, yes, there is a lot of information about as I read. The more I read, the more I get confused with all the terminology thrown around. I'm slightly dislexic so reading in one place and then going to see somewhere else really screws with me.

Okay. So a LED, white, and filters... That way I can change about when I want. Because I kinda like the white as well.

Got that part down.

I know it's all in the forums and I can read it... But as I said, I get really confused. Can someone just tell me the parts I need to run a really bright white LED?

I'm feeling karmic today so I'll help you out.

For externals...as in the case you put the electronics in...you need:

Blade holder
    Center section (this can be multiple different pieces)
    Pommel
    Pommel insert
    C-Clip (to hold in insert)
    Blade retention screw (to hold the blade in so it doesn't go flying while dueling)

Now that is bare minimum of what you need, and that's also assuming you are going to use all MHS parts (MHS = Modular Hilt System..aka the parts sold at The Custom Saber Shop)

As for internals you need:

Lux III kit (this will give you the cheapest solution for all the electronics you need)
    The kit includes a battery pack, a switch, a resistor, the LED, a lense and lense holder.
    For a yellow blade you would also need a pack of colored disc filters

You can get into more advanced options which I'm sure someone can explain if you need them too, but this is the basics that will get you a nice glowing saber in no time.

Hope this helps!
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr