Thread: Sink Tube designs

Default Sink Tube designs

I have just ordered a 1.25 sink tube , blade holder etc etc and as I sit here waiting for it all to arrive I was wonderingwhat eveyone thinks is the best way to make a sinktube saber that doesn't look like a sink tube. When you look through the gallery you can see a vast range of fantastic sabers, all of which are look like genuine functional lightsabers. Some however just look that bit more authentic. i have already built a sink tube saber(it's in the gallery) Whilst happy with what I achieved for a first time build, part of me is aware that it does look like a sink tube with bits stuck on it. Can anyone suggest what they think are the best things to do to avoid this. ie overlays, clamps, t-grip etc.

To my mind, one of the things that helps to alter the look from "Tube with stuff attached" to "Functional piece of equipment" is the way the layering is applied. If it looks like it can be taken apart and repaired, it's less sink tube. If there are parts that are not along the straight line of a central shaft, it's also less sink tube.

There are many things that can be done to a tube to give it interesting visual appeal as well as character and purpose.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

big yellow box has a bunch of sinktube based designs, some aren't as hot as others but it does have alot of good ideas.

The Big yellow box is great

I have also gotten a few ideas from SabreCraft
    http://community-2.webtv.net/MDChubb...aft/page3.html

You could also look through the forums here. There are quiet a few good sink tube sabers floating arround.
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...hread.php?t=47

you could make a graflex style saber I could give you the plans if you want them.

Thank you Luar Selbor that is very kind but I intend this saber to be a little bit more organic than a graflex, slightly more Sideous like. Thanks anyway.

Default metal

some type of custom form molding.....
    OK. maybe get some PVC with a 1.25 inner diameter and use it to mold some prototypes. Then take the final prototype to get machined.
    Last edited by swear000; 09-04-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: machine