Thread: Stunt saber blade coloring

Default Stunt saber blade coloring

Hello all, just wanted your opinion on something. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, has anyone ever tried painting the INSIDE of a polycarbonate tube? I'm not interested in illumination of the blade right now, just wondering if I could add some color to purely stunt/dueling blades. Your thoughts on paint types, previous attempts, etc. welcome.

P.S. I have been unable to find pre-colored polycarbonate tubing on the web, only colored acrylic tubing.

Welcome to the forums! I have tried, but to no avail. Some of the masters around here can be of better service.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Preston\My Documents\My PicturesThe cake is a lie.
    Official TCSS Noob welcomer.

Who could really go as far even to decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I realy don't think it's worth the trouble. It's an extra 20 bucks and you can have it lit. I figure "why not?"
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

You could use colored cellophane, but I agree w/ lord Maul, Just light it up!

Linky to the cello--->http://www.papermart.com/templates/47-0-30.htm
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

LOL! I love your avatar! That's awesome!

and no, I've never tried, but it sounds way easy: can of spray paint and some time between sprays... sounds easy enough.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

The problem I see is that you wouldn't be able to get a thick coat in the middle of the blade. Also the paint would probably crack during dueling because of the blade flexing.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Automotive paint flexes.

I thought I might fill the blade with some cheap bright paint, let it sit a while, then dump what doesn't dry back into the can. Hopefully some will stick to the inside, then I could repeat that a couple times to see what kind of results I would get. Based on some quick calculations, a 3/4" ID blade, approx 40", would require less than 300 mL to fill.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    You could use colored cellophane, but I agree w/ lord Maul, Just light it up!

Linky to the cello--->http://www.papermart.com/templates/47-0-30.htm
    Do you have a picture of what a cellophane filled stunt blade looks like? Or a link perhaps?

Thx.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrobacca View Post
    Do you have a picture of what a cellophane filled stunt blade looks like? Or a link perhaps?

Thx.
    I've never done it, but the cello is really cheap, so it would be worth a try. You could pick whatever color you want and not ruin a perfectly good blade with paint.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!