Thread: Luxeon III, BuckPuck and accent LED

Default Luxeon III, BuckPuck and accent LED

Hello TCSS friends! I'm new here, although I've been lurking for about a month trying to gather information. I first became interested in custom lightsabers when I attended the Wizard World convention in Philadelphia and saw a demonstration by the Pennsylvania Jedi Academy.
    This is my first attempt at wiring anything and i have only a very basic knowledge of circuits. I thought adding a small accent LED would be uncomplicated, but I'm not having any luck. Well, actually the small LED does light, but the Luxeon III does not. Also, it stays lit even when pushing the switch. I've attached a diagram of my wiring (I hope ) and here's my parts list:
    Luxeon Star III
    1000 mA BuckPuck (03021-A-N-1000)
    5mm yellow LED (3VDC 20mA 55mcd)
    4AA Battery Pack
    Push on/off switch
    150 ohm resistor
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

For starters, if your diagram is an accurate reflection of your wiring - your puck and LuxIII aren't connected to anything but each other.

Look for threads that member Arm on Fire has started. He has a couple of very good diagrams that may give you some insight. His have a couple of more steps based on what he wired but that should help you out a bit. And I agree with eastern, you need to do something about your wiring schematic because you are going to get no where fast the way you have it wired right now.

Red face Oops! Wrong diagram.

Thanks for the quick response. Ummm ...that was the wrong diagram ...sorry. Here's the correct one. I did spend many hours trolling through the forums and tutorials before posting. I think I may have copied almost every diagram that was even remotely similar in the forums, lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

If the color coding in your picture is accurate to what you've done, you have problems.

You've got the wires going to all the wrong places.

Red is positive from your battery, going through the switch.
    Black is negative return to the battery.
    White goes to the positive on the LED.
    Blue goes to negative on the LED.
    Ignore the gray and yellow. They are used if you want to dim the LED with a pot.

Default Tytytytytytytytytytyt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie, eastern57 and Dark Navel for your help! IT WORKS!!! One strange thing though ..my BuckPuck only has 4 pins/wires. It has a red, black, blue and white which, as you mentioned, are the only ones needed, but no gray and yellow. All of the pics I've seen of the 1000mA BuckPuck (3021-A-N) have the 6 wires you mentioned. Oh well, as long as it works. I'm posting the current set-up below. Maybe it'll save some other noobie some frustration. Thanks again people!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

LOL!! I'm happy for you dude! I didn't really do anything here... but it's nice to see people's success stories...

[FADE]

[CREDITS]

All I did was somewhat steer you in the right direction..if that. Give yourself the credit..but if it is due then your welcome, no problem, glad I could help.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Glad you got it working!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Too late to help, but congrats on getting her goin!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!